Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:09:19 +0000
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      New Engine + New Oxy Sensor = Off Idle Stumble Problem??

Hello!

About a month and a half ago and 1k miles I put a Boston Bob rebuilt into my 87 Westy. When the new engine I went in, I replaced injectors, hoses (fuel and water) and a Bosch "universal" three wire Oxygen Sensor.

Almost from day one (well not quite day one as Boston Bob recommended not to hook up the O2 sensor for the first 300 miles or so), the 87 would "stumble" while accelerating from a standing start. At about 2300 rpms the problem would clear out. If I am stopped at a traffic light, I'd have to blip the throttle and then drive off. It seems that the engine is running rich at idle and low rpms.

Thought the problem initially were the connections at the Bosch "wire splice connector". Redid the connections. Still it had a problem. Used the good old blue wire splicers. No change...

If I disconnect the sensor, the problem goes away. Reconnect it, it comes back. Seems to be less prevalent when the engine is cold, and more acute when its warmed up.

I think I have a bad sensor. But before I send it back, I thought I'd seek the wisdom of the list....

Thanks in advance.

Ric

_________________________________________________________________ Get more out of the Web. Learn 10 hidden secrets of Windows Live. http://windowslive.com/connect/post/jamiethomson.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!550F681DAD532637!5295.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_domore_092008