Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Sep 2008 16:15:16 -0700
From:         Neil2 <vidublu@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Z-bed, sofa bed, bench seat????
Comments: To: mdrillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

As I suspected, Mark confirmed that not all Westy beds are equal. I harvested me bench/bed from an early Westy and the rear cushion from a second. I noticed weeks ago the rear cushion was a couple inches wider than the bench/bed. Since my bench/bed cabinet finish is wood grain and has a huge, rectangular access hole on the front, I suspect its a P22. I covered the hole with large hole, black, vinyl window screening (inside). Looks great and allows me to use the rear heater too.

I plan to paint the wood grain formica brown to match the rest of the brown interior.

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 3:58 PM, mdrillock <mdrillock@cox.net> wrote:

> I have noticed this same thing and dealt with it in just the way you > propose. It is not quite as simple as you might hope. For one thing, > there are different versions of the Westy hinges. The standard common > ones are for a less than full width bed. The difference is in the > driver's side hinge only. The hinge on the driver's side is different on > a full width Westy bed in that is is shaped to fit into a depression in > the engine lid shelf differently than the 2 person seat bed hinge does > on the driver's side. > > The cleanest solution is a bed assembly from an 84 Wolfy Weekender. This > will slide into place and fit properly. > > Later Wolfy Weekender poptop model beds also fit, 85-87, but these have > slightly less space underneath and are not exactly as wide as is proper > to fit the GL interior side panels. > > The bed assembly from a 80-81 Westy model P22 will also work great, but > the lower face plate was woodgrain finish only and has unsightly holes > for things that you would not have. You might want to cover the face > with formica or something to get a better color match and cover the holes. > > In all cases the rear foam cushion from the 87 GL is not a perfect fit > with a Westy bed but this can probably be lived with by sliding it > forward against the bed when sleeping. > > Mark > > > > Jake Beaulieu wrote: > >> What is the difference between these creatures? I recently purchased a >> 1987 Vanagon Syncro GL. This is a passenger van with a rear seat that folds >> into a bed. I have noticed that the height of the storage compartment under >> this seat is much lower than in my 1982 Westy. I am basically interested in >> retrofitting the full width rear seat in my Syncro with the hinge mechanisms >> from a Westy bed in the hopes of gaining storage space. Can this be done? >> I tried to distill this from the archives, but got really confused trying >> to differentiate a Z-bed, from a sofa-bed, etc.. >> >> thanks much, >> jake >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >>

-- Neil2 '82 Diesel Westfalia (Fwd Puke Qualified) '86 Vanagon/Westfalia Wannabe (Savannah) Nunquam Pendite Divendium