Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Sep 2008 22:51:04 -0600
From:         Andrew Grebneff <goose1047@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: H-4 Headlight questions

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:39 PM, David Marshall <mailinglist@fastforward.ca> wrote: > If you have sealed beams now, you don't need electrical adapters. > > For aiming I use the European 2% dip, so find a flat parking lot with a > building next to it - bricks or something with siding works we as you have > a horizontal reference point. > > Park your van so it is 10m away > from the wall. Measure distance from the center of the lights to the > ground and then measure where the "cut off" is on the wall - it > should be 2% lower. 10m is 1000cm and 2% of 1000 is 20, so 20cm > lower than the center of your lights. Other than that - make sure > they are the same distance apart and of course going straight ahead. > > David Marshall

Good advice! The New Zealand authorities insist that the lights must be inclined much lower than this (about 15-20 degrees) and be adjusted off to the left!! Assholes. Pardon my Swahili.

I park some distance (about 10m indeed) behind a parked sedan on the road and adjust my lights until the low-beam cutoff is JUST below the car's rear window, and pointing dead ahead. This passes official 6-monthly tests and I don't get oncoming drivers flashing their high-beams at me.

If you're in Fiji, it doesn't matter where the lights are pointing, as long as it's not ahead or just below level.