Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:48:16 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shortest rubber motor mount? (Vanagon/Jetta conversion)
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Good point re throttle cable setup.

I wondered about that. It was the first thing I thought of, but it looks solid.

I can supply a pic, but basically it's like this:

Stock Jetta cable/housing goes from throttle body linkage, is secured at stock brace on intake manifold, then is secured to home made bracket on engine. Jetta throttle cable housing is mounted to this bracket and the cable is coupled to the stock air cooled throttle cable.

I relocated the stock air cooled throttle cable. Maybe I'm missing a part for it to keep it steady? Actually thinking of it now, I recall Zap strapping the exposed end of the cable housing at firewall, but not behind the firewall.

Hmmm......

Maybe there's still a little slack in the Jetta cable too. The home made bracket isn't loose. It isn't shifting AFAIK.

And yes. I want to limit the fore/aft movement (IF that's what's happening)

The Fox rubber mounts are new and FWIW, I found that having them mounted 90* to the engine block reduced throttle pedal movement and resulting surging. i.e. while creeping in 1st gear driving in a parking lot. This mount angle contradicts what list members suggested of having the mount in line with the engine, (not dissing list wisdom here! Just experimenting :^) but having them at 90* to the engine really reduces throttle pedal movement and surging.

I'll also double check the tranny mount. Maybe it finally packed it in. Maybe moving the Fox mounts to the 90* position is simply compensating for a worn tranny mount.

Neil.

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > something is not right about your throttle cable if you can feel engine > movement in the gas pedal. > It's fundamental to throttle cable installations that engine > movement........and there is always some....... > as no affect on the throttle. > > kinda hard to tell what you are talking about. > I think you are thinking of making a engine movement-limiting > bracket.........like you find on Honda's or Subaru's. > Nice idea but should never be needed on any diesel vanagon-based or related > engine installation. > > if engine movement detected in the gas pedal is what made you think about > this, I'd look into the throttle cable setup first....... > unless you know something is really Mickey mouse about the engine mounting > brackets and so forth. > And you don't have a simple broken rubber mount of any sort, right ? > Scott > ----- Original Message ----- From: "neil N" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:21 AM > Subject: Shortest rubber motor mount? (Vanagon/Jetta conversion)