Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:49:58 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] sudden glitch
Comments: To: wetwesties@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Snook <matt@snooksband.com>

how long have those heads been on the engine ? you should never need to bleed the cooling system more than once if things are right. You do it once after cooling system work of course, ...............but it won't 'unbleed' unless something is leaking......... either air in one of the dozens and dozens of connections and hoses and pipes............ or ..............exhaust gases getting into the cooling system at the heads and joke "head gaskets."

did you pressure test it to look for ordinary coolant leaks ? I don't trust the pressure caps much btw . I always care a spare or two. Others have reported those not working like they should all the time. I might add that bleeding is not some hyper-critically needed process. I have swapped whole engines many times............and not bothered to bleed the cooling system for quite a while, and things were just fine anyway. For sure, you do need to have no air in there for ultimate cooling system performance.......... But they can also work just fine without meticulous attention to bleeding. And if you fine air in your cooling system after you have bled it, and again after bleeding it thoroughly.......... think about the possibility of exhaust gasses getting into the coolant at the heads. I say the heads should be pulled every 80,000 miles for a nice valve job and new head gaskets, as regular maintenence . They really do have joke head sealing compared to all 'normal' engines with 'real' head gaskets.

----- Original Message ----- From: Matthew Snook To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM ; wetwesties@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:16 PM Subject: [WetWesties] sudden glitch

My '84 1.9 Westy barfed last night, and I don't know why. It's been running great, with a known oil leak (and a scheduled fix) and an intermittently leaking O-ring in the rear heater. But I check all the fluids before I start it each time anyway, so I know it's all within the max/min lines. Then last night I stopped after 100 miles or so of hills etc., put on the parking brake and let the engine run as I pulled out a map to check the distance to my campsite. While looking at the map I heard a gurgle in the line, which surprised me. I looked up and the temp gauge had peaked and the light was blinking! The fan had not come on! So I immediately killed the ignition and let it sit while I finished with the map. Got out, checked the overflow tank etc. - all full but there was coolant all over the road. Started it up again went a ways, no problem. Eventually found my camp and hit the hay. Next morning, all fluids fine, all systems go. I pulled onto a berm and put the nose in the air, burped the radiator and let it cycle through the fan a couple of times. I've driven some this morning. No overheating, no flashy light, no more barfing.

What happened? Why just the once? There _was_ air in the system when I burped the radiator, is that all? It's probably been 3000 miles since I last burped it, maybe I need to do it more often. ?

Matt

__._,_.___ Messages in this topic (1) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Members | Calendar To leave us: wetwesties-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com Calendar of events: http://wetwesties.type2.com/calendar.htm For technical resources: http://wetwesties.type2.com/links.htm

Please conserve bandwidth and clip quoted material in your posts. Include only the information that is relevent to your response.

Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required) Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe Recent Activity a.. 8New Members b.. 13New Photos Visit Your Group Y! Sports for TV Game Day Companion

Live fantasy league

& game stats on TV.

Yahoo! Finance It's Now Personal

Guides, news,