Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:07:53 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shortest rubber motor mount? (Vanagon/Jetta conversion)
Comments: To: Jim Akiba <syncrolist@bostig.com>

I think I'll try for the second plan. Mmmm..... donuts..... --- :^)

Thanks for the ideas and insights Jim. Can't imagine what must be involved in the R&D for your products.

I checked out "Smooth On" (you suggsested this a while back). FWIW list members, it's an interesting site if you're into casting stuff out of urethane or rubber etc. :

http://www.smooth-on.com/

After I finish making mount brackets for the exhaust (thanks Jim Arnott for direction to Bosal part) I'll be ready to address the extra mount..... if it's needed. The surging/throttle pedal movement may simply be due to a *fetid* throttle cable mounting design on my part.

Cheers,

Neil.

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Jim Akiba <syncrolist@bostig.com> wrote: > If you want to look for mounts, the best way I've found is to make the > first cull a visual scan through a ton of pics, then cull by > availability, then once you're down to several, order them and check > sizing(it's almost impossible to get dimensional info on the mounts > since it's never called for normally), and then repeat a few times > because it's harder than it sounds ha. I wrote a little spidering app > that pulled all of the pics of every mount from a major mount > manufacturer's online DB for development purposes(I've also done this > for sensors and lot's of other components)... it's much faster to scan > through 3200+ mount pics when they are local and you can see them a > bunch at a time instead of one per page. But it may be way overkill > since it's a one off... easiest thing is to make friends with a local > parts guy and have him let you look through order books and open > boxes... usually only takes a few boxes of donuts and coffee for a > couple mornings to get that ball rolling. > > Jim Akiba > > > > On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 1:21 PM, neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: >> Hi all. >> >> Except for another exhaust crack, (it is now "NeilWelded" --- ;^) my >> conversion is running well. >> >> But ..... >> >> there has always been a little fore/aft movement in the drivetrain. >> When in 1st in parking lots, it surges a little. (engine shifts. I can >> feel it in the gas pedal). I have the exhaust side Jetta engine >> bracket and the stock threaded DV engine carrier holes appear to line >> up with this bracket. >> >> My plan: >> >> fabricate a bracket that bolts to the frame, with an arm running >> forward to the Jetta engine bracket. The rubber mount would be located >> at that point. >> >> I want to use at least 1x2" for the arm, hence the request for a short >> rubber mount. The arm of the bracket can only go so low as the exhaust >> is in the way. >> >> The question: >> >> Does anyone know what the shortest VW (or other?) stock rubber mount would be? >> >> Jim Akiba kindly advised on material to make mounts, but at this point >> I would rather not wait for stuff in the mail. >> >> If need be, I guess I could make another bracket in place of the stock >> aluminum Jetta bracket and use one of my leftover Fox mounts. >> Hmmm...... >> >> Hope this all makes sense. If mockup pics are needed, I can snap some pics. >> >> Thanks! >> >> Neil. >> >> -- >> Neil Nicholson '81 JettaWesty "Jaco >> http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines >> http://web.mac.com/tubaneil >> http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ >> >