Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Sep 2008 14:27:14 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Question about testing O2 sensor with digital meter
Comments: To: Mike S <mikes@FLATSURFACE.COM>

there is no Cold Start injector on a waterboxer vanagon of course.

I sure say 'ditto !' on Mark and everyone's suggestion to ........ check fuel pressures, and ...........check the basics ! When you get lost........back up and start over. That notion about 'getting it in your mind that something is OK or a certain way' ...........as Mark says.......that can be a real trap. When you're just kinda lost................Always go back and start from square one.......... just like someone brought you this van and you have *no idea* what they may have done to it ..........etc.....- naturally you'd likely start by removing and inspecting the spark plugs, and checking compression just to start diagnosing.

And .........while I rarely find fuel pressure incorrect............if you have a fuel pressure gauge it's real easy to check. I often just leave the fuel pressure gauge connected while I troubleshoot things, test run it between trying this or that etc. So convenient they have that test port right there on the engine. They sure got that right !

I'm sure grounds have been mentioned, but you always need to keep those in mind. And for sure.........the only real resistance checks that you can really count on must be measured at the ecu plug. I would always look at the plugs too, that's your best visual indication of what's going on in the cylinders. Always remember to consider clogged or restricted cat or muffler. Doesn't happen too often..........but it's something that always needs to be considered. And the IR temp gun on each exhaust pipe .........that can really find a weirdly functioning cylinder in a few seconds even.

"it's just a blockage or leakage of fluids or electrons."

just keep after it until you get it !

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike S" <mikes@FLATSURFACE.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 2:03 PM Subject: Re: Question about testing O2 sensor with digital meter