Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Sep 2008 09:06:49 -0700
From:         Michael Hart <mjhart853@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Fw: SFGate: Tooling around Utah parks in a VW camper van

A good article in today's San Francisco Chronicle travel section by John Flinn, the travel editor, about renting a VW camper from Western Rentals in Salt Lake City. This is exactly how we got into Westfalias (although 4 years ago when we did this, it was a Vanagon Westfalia; now all they seem to rent are Eurovan Weekenders. One error in the article (pointed out by my son): the common spelling error 'Westphalia'.... Mike '87 Westy ---------------------------------------------------------------------- This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate. The original article can be found on SFGate.com here: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2008/09/28/TROE12V469.DTL --------------------------------------------------------------------- Sunday, September 28, 2008 (SF Chronicle) Tooling around Utah parks in a VW camper van John Flinn, Chronicle Staff Writer   (09-28) 04:00 PDT Moab , Utah -- The scene is part Kerouac, part Corona beer ad:   I'm in a warm and cactus-studded desert, slouched comfortably in a camp chair, savoring a paisley-tangerine sunset. To my left, shrimp the size of plantains are sizzling on a hibachi. To my right, beer is chilling in a slushy cooler. And behind me stands my home, my wheels and the linchpin of my retirement dreams: a Volkswagen pop-top camper.   Like a lot of Boomers, I've envisioned my rapidly approaching golden years as not just active, but mobile: I yearn to explore the national parks of the West, trace what remains of Route 66 or meander down the Baja Peninsula, camping each night on deserted beaches. (In my fantasy, there are no bandits, armed drug gangs or time-share touts.)   But after once watching the proud new owner of a monstrously large motor home wedge it between two pine trees while trying to turn around in a Yellowstone campground - for all I know, it's still stuck there - I see myself behind the wheel of something a bit more modest, easier to drive and less punishing at the pump.   For someone who grew up in the 1960s and early '70s, that means only one thing: a VW camper van.   Before plunking down the considerable pile of cash required to buy a new one, or even a decent used one, I did something uncharacteristically wise: I decided to rent one for a vacation, to make sure my wife Jeri and I could live in such close quarters without going after each other with tire irons.   Which is how we came to be standing in the parking lot of a Comfort Suites motel near the Salt Lake City airport in May, inspecting the VW Westphalia Weekender that would be our home for the next week.   A number of appealing destinations rent VW campers - Vermont, Hawaii, Washington state and even the Bay Area - but Utah, with its red-rock canyons, painted deserts and astounding concentration of national parks, seemed the perfect choice. Swiss army knife on wheels   As Nathan Williams, co-owner of the rental company, demonstrated the van's features, I could see that a VW camper is like a Swiss army knife on wheels, with surprising conveniences tucked and folded into every nook. Fold the small table out of the way, pull out the backbench seat, and you've got a bed big enough to sleep two. (Admittedly, not the most comfortable of beds; it felt like a sofa-sleeper.)   I could easily pop the spring-loaded top and raise it into place with one hand. Upstairs was a loft, with zip-open windows and a mattress that was more comfortable than the one downstairs. Two small or very compatible people could sleep up there.   Downstairs, embedded in the side panel, was a small library of guidebooks and maps. Drapes snapped into place to cover the windshield and windows for privacy. The otherwise-standard car stereo had one feature I liked very much: a cord that allowed me to plug in my iPod. I have no idea what fills the airwaves of southern Utah, but I suspect a little of it would have gone a very long way with me.   I discovered, to my disappointment, what the term "Weekender" means: This model lacks the built-in stove, sink and refrigerator common to classic VW campers. Instead, it has a tiny refrigerated drawer that was cold enough to keep yogurt and vegetables from going bad, but not to chill beer.   Our Weekender came with a removable 5-gallon cooler we had to restock with ice every other day and a portable two-burner Coleman propane stove festooned with stickers warning us not to use it inside the camper. Inside the back hatch, an under-seat shelf held a folding table and chairs, a lantern and a plastic box of pots, pans, dishes, bowls, paper towels, cutlery, etc.   As it turned out, cooking al fresco on campground picnic tables was delightful in the pleasant climate of Utah's high desert in the spring; it was probably preferable to filling the camper with the smell of frying bacon. If we had faced cold, spitting rain, though, it would have been borderline-miserable. The financial picture   A word on finances: Renting a camper van is not necessarily a way to save money. Ours cost $1,105 for the week, including linen rentals and mileage; that's $145 a day. Plus, we spent $15 to $25 a night on campgrounds. Add it up, and that's more or less what it would cost to stay in motels and rent a compact car. (If there are three or four of you, of course, the math works out differently.)   The gas tank of our Westy - a common nickname for Westphalia campers - wasn't cheap to fill, but neither was it ruinous. The van averaged 20 mph on the two-lane highways and back roads of southern Utah - hardly Prius mileage, but as good as you're going to get in a camper or RV.   Food is where the big savings came. Heading south from Salt Lake City along the snow-dusted Wasatch Mountains, we pulled in at a supermarket outside Provo to provision ourselves for the week. Our full shopping cart of camping vittles - eggs, bacon, yogurt and cereal for breakfast; bread, cheese, tomatoes and sliced meat for lunch; spaghetti, risotto, shrimp and rib-eye steaks for dinner - cost less than the price of two restaurant dinners.   One reason for the relatively low total at the checkout counter: No liquor. Alcohol isn't illegal in Utah, but they sure don't make it easy for you.   The state, as any tippler who's been there will attest, has some of the nation's strictest and quirkiest liquor laws. Grocery stores and supermarkets sell only watered-down, 3.2-percent beer - most "normal" beer has an alcohol content of 5 to 6 percent - and many of them won't do even that on Sundays. (But one of the brands they do sell is a can't-miss souvenir: Polygamy Porter, with its slogan, "Why have just one?")   State-owned liquor stores sell the hard stuff, and the one in Moab had a surprisingly comprehensive selection of international wines. But these stores are few and far between once you get out of the Salt Lake City metropolitan area, and they're closed on Sundays and holidays.   Many restaurants serve alcohol, but servers are not allowed to mention this fact or bring you a wine list unless you ask for one. On the other hand, they're happy to sell you a bottle to go - something I've never seen a California restaurant do. Then there's the whole bar scene, with its membership fees, "sidecars" and other oddities.   All this is a way of saying that if you appreciate a sundowner or feel the need for something to imbibe around the campfire, plan accordingly. Campground rituals   On our first night, in Arches National Park near Moab, we discovered that living out of a VW camper is halfway between car camping and the usual RV lifestyle. Unlike the owners of the gargantuan motor homes we saw, which looked like lunar base stations, with enormous satellite dishes and rover vehicles - almost always SUVs - parked nearby, we spent all our waking hours outdoors.   We could watch the golden light of morning creep down sandstone skyscrapers and hear the yelps of distant coyotes; when the sunset exploded in color, we weren't indoors watching a "The X-Files" rerun. And being outside reconfirmed a curious fact of camping: The bacon frying in the next campsite always smells better than yours.   There were some drawbacks. Our camper wasn't soundproof enough to block the throbbing Euro-disco from the party-hearty gang a couple of campsites away. And, in one campground a few nights later, they stuck us in the RV section, which meant we had to listen to the humming generators of neighboring motor homes all night.   What loomed as the biggest caveat - VW campers don't have bathrooms - turned out to be a nonissue. The national parks we stayed in had good and convenient restrooms, and the state parks had even better ones. On the road, even out in canyon country, you're never too far from a McDonald's or convenience store.   Only about half the campgrounds we stayed in had showers. But in the cool, dry climes of Utah in the spring, neither of us minded going a day or two without. And we discovered that private campgrounds will let you use theirs, even if you're not staying there, for a fee - typically $5 per person. Small is beautiful   Every day, I had cause to give thanks I was driving something more akin to a large car than a school bus. In the Bryce Canyon campground, I saw nervous dads backing their rented Cruise America RVs into picnic tables, and at the Capitol Reef visitors center, I could scoot right into an empty parking space, while motor homes had to head to the distant bus lot.   In Zion National Park, we cruised right through a low, milelong tunnel with the other cars, while RVs and motor homes had to wait half an hour or more for rangers to stop traffic and escort them through.   Between the town of Torrey and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, the Highway 12 Scenic Byway follows an airy, knife-edge ridge in the slickrock, with no shoulder or railing, and vertiginous drops on either side. It was a windy day, and I was profoundly grateful I wasn't attempting this vehicular tightrope-walk in something akin to a Bekins moving van.   I didn't fully appreciate our camper's sorta-decent gas mileage until the afternoon I pulled into a gas station at the north rim of the Grand Canyon, just over the border in Arizona. A gargantuan motor home was leaving; it looked like something a rock band would tour in, and it was towing the inevitable SUV behind it.   "Guy just spent $300, and it didn't even come close to filling the tank," the gas station attendant told me. "I'm guessing that rig gets about 2 miles a gallon, 3 tops."   The plan all along was to take a midweek break from our camper. In the town of Torrey, we checked into a Days Inn - real bed! private bathroom! hot showers whenever we wanted! SportsCenter! - for one night.   But after days of sage-scented desert breezes, the factory-sterile air coming out of the air conditioner made my throat sore. The noise of the trucks going by on the highway made me instantly nostalgic for the happy sounds of campgrounds - even other people's music. And I just happened to glance out the window in time to catch the last light of what had been a dramatic, ruby-red sunset; I had been hunkered in front of the TV, watching a Larry King interview on CNN.   First thing the next morning, we were in our VW camper and pulling out of the motel parking lot as quickly as our wheels would take us, on the road again. A few things to bring with you   An inverter: This a device you plug into your car's cigarette lighter, turning the DC power into AC power you can use to recharge your digital camera, iPod or laptop. About $40 at RadioShack.   Small hatchet: For splitting firewood into kindling. Remember not to pack it in your carry-on luggage.   Sweatpants: Perfect campground loungewear.   iPod: Check with the rental company about connections. Some campers have input jacks in the radio; some have cassette slots that will take an adapter.   Kitchen essentials: A small kit with your favorite spices and perhaps a little olive oil - it will save you from having to buy these things at your destination.   - If you go VW CAMPER RENTALS IN UTAH   Western Road Trips in Salt Lake City (877) 752-8747, westernroadtrips.com) rents VW Westphalia Weekenders (pop-top campers without the mini-kitchen). We paid $115 a night for the van, $140 for unlimited mileage, $60 for the week's rental of linens, towels, duvets, etc., and $10 rental for two camp chairs. Our camper had more than 150,000 miles on it, but was in excellent condition. The company will pick you up and drop you off at the airport or area hotels. VW CAMPER RENTALS ELSEWHERE   California Campers in Redwood City (650) 216-0000, www.californiacampers.com) rents Westphalia campers (with mini-kitchens) for $850 a week in high season (July 1-Sept. 6), less in other seasons.   Scroll down to the bottom of its home page for links to VW camper rentals in Southern California; Hawaii (Maui and Big Island); Vermont; Washington state; British Columbia and the United Kingdom. WHERE TO STAY   Southern Utah has dozens of national parks, state parks (see sidebar), U.S. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management campgrounds, and private campgrounds. For national parks and the more popular state parks, reservations are highly recommended. (But take extra care with online reservations from www.reserveamerica.com. We requested a campsite at the north rim of the Grand Canyon, but when we arrived, we discovered they had booked us at the south rim. From talking to other campers, I gather this sort of thing isn't unusual.) In some areas, it's legal to "boondock" - to just turn down a little-used dirt road on public property and camp there. (See Departures.) And most - but not all - Wal-Marts are happy to have RVs and camper vans spend the night in their parking lots. For a list of locations: www.allstays.com/c/walmart-utah-locations.htm.   WHERE TO EAT   The Diablo Cafe (599 West Main St., Torrey, Utah, (435) 425-3070, www.cafediablo.net) is one of those places people detour hundreds of miles to dine at, and for good reason. The menu features innovative and eclectic Southwest cuisine, from rattlesnake cakes with ancho-rosemary aioli to Mayan tamales to turkey and poblano peppers simmered in guajillo mole cream. Dinner for two with drinks, $95. Open for dinner daily from April 18-Oct. 18. John Flinn is executive editor of Travel. To comment, visit sfgate.com/travel and follow the links. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Copyright 2008 SF Chronicle