Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Sep 2008 11:22:06 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear brake shoe replacment= crappy pedal now
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>

ah ha............. so the brake MC isn't new, or replaced a couple of times in the last year or so. here're my 'rules'........ if it bleeds right ........that is, no air gets pumped in .............it bleeds well to all 4 wheels............and your sure there are no restricted or collapsed hoses ( very rare in my experience ) ..........and the pedal still doesn't seem right ( and you've done the brake booster test for it's function - I seldom condemn a booster ) .............it's the brake master cylinder.

you know what 'right' feels like ..........good firm high pedal, and you get progressively more brake action as you apply more pressure to the pedal. If it bleeds right .........and things are mechanically right in all 4 wheels..........and you don't get the brake action you feel like you should from pressing on the brake pedal ( and you don't have glazed shoes or pads that can't 'grab' their friction surfaces well ) ............and the booster passes it's test..............brake master cylinder is indicated.

and I still don't trust a pressure bleed as much as I do a manual pedal bleed............cause you can feel what the MC is doing in a manual pedal bleeding procedure, or *I* can anyway ! hope you get it. given your big trip coming up .........and how much you've worked on this........seems very justified to invest in a new brake MC to me at this point. Scott turbovans ----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson@GORGE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2008 6:55 AM Subject: Re: Rear brake shoe replacment= crappy pedal now