Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Sep 2008 09:45:34 -0230
From:         Joy Hecht <hecht.joy@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Fwd: [VWVANFULLTIMERS] OT- Death of Forest Service Officer

This was posted on the vwfulltimers list - thought folks on the vanagon list who stay in national forests might also like to see it.

Joy

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: WoodyB <waterk9@gmail.com> Date: Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 1:13 PM Subject: [VWVANFULLTIMERS] OT- Death of Forest Service Officer To: Undisclosed-Recipient

If you live in the Northwest you may have seen on your local TV or NW News Cable TV that a Forest Service Officer was killed Saturday. For me it was a local event as the Forest Service campground she was killed is back in the woods somewhat near my home. Have been to the campground tho' never stayed.

Kristine (Kris) Fairbanks, 51, was a 15 year veteran of Forest Service law enforcement. She was married to a Wildlife Officer and they have a 15 year old daughter.

Kris was shot and killed by a man with an armed domestic violence past. She was investigating that his van did not have plates. She called the State Patrol to run a name/vehicle check and did not respond when they called her back 8 minutes later. Her body was found 40 minutes later by County Sheriff's Officers sent to investigate. The area is quite remote. The gunman was killed about 7 hours later by two County Sheriff's officers in a shootout at a gas station/deli on US 101 in Blyn, WA, just miles from where the first killing occurred. Later it was discovered the gunman also killed another citizen working in his yard and stole his pickup after hiding the van in the woods.

I never met the woman but recognized her photo in the paper, they'd done articles about her and her K-9 partners over the years. Paper said Kris was the only Forest Service K-9 officer in the state of Washington. Her K9 partner, Radar, was found safe in the patrol car. She was the leader of the 4-H group Happy Tails in her hometown of Forks, WA. Seattle TV said this was the first Line of Duty death of a Forest Service Officer since... they weren't sure, but before, around WWII.

The public memorial service will be held in Port Angeles, WA, Civic Field, Monday at 1 PM.

To date I have not seen where contributions can be made for the family, normally something is setup at a local bank, perhaps the Forest Service is setting something up.

Many of us visit or stay in Forest Service areas, National Parks, State, local parks and forests, I would ask that you keep Kris Fairbanks, her husband and daughter in your thoughts. Perhaps the next time we see a Forest Service Officer or other park officer we thank them in some way for their service.

You can learn more about this in the Seattle Times or Seattle PI, the Peninsula Daily News, or the local Seattle TV stations - King5, Komo4, KIRO7.