Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:07:41 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dot 3 brake fluid question-Now Brake Fade
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>

I shift between 2nd and 3rd manually on my auto trans 85 Wolfsburg Weekender all the time. Wouldn't drive it any other way. there is not a whole lot of harm that can come from downshifting it manually.

and............since we're sharing stories...I was in a big RV one time with about 10 people on board, and ..........the shift linkage was adjusted incorrectly so it couldn't get first, or lowest gear. We headed down a steep narrow mountain road.......probably in 2nd, with an automatic, going about 25 to 30. Before not too long ..........the driver said he couldn't get it slowed down enough ...............we pulled into a turn out at about 4 mph and I jumped out and threw a log piece that was right there in front of a front tire........and that didn't do anything. I jumped back on thinking I should stay with the thing and I could do the most good there. About another 400 feet down the road there was a small dirt road going up into a logging clearing..........and we got it stopped. That was close actually. It was a narrow winding steep road.........and a big ole heavy thing like that..............it would have to just crash off the side of a turn, were it not for that logging spot we pulled up into that was luckily right there when we needed. I adjusted the shift linkage so 1st could be gotten, and after a cool off period, we proceeded without incident.

here's one of my sayings about car accidents..... they are ALL preventable............whether it's stupid driving, dumb car design, or poorly engineered or not well maintained road ...........all accidents are preventable. The only ones I'll say are not preventable ( beside staying at home or in bed ) or a meteor falling and hitting your car , or perhaps an overpass collapsing from an earthquake. But all the rest........even a terrorist attack.......they are all human actions that could have been done differently. But all normal accidents are totally preventable. Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "J Stewart" <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 9:32 AM Subject: Re: Dot 3 brake fluid question-Now Brake Fade