Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:52:42 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear brake shoes affect MPG.
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net>

Re shoe adjustment. I have to admit. Adjusting the rears is not my favorite thing to do. To me there appears to be a little "black magic" involved, but of course, there isn't.

Give em time Don. My new shoes (w/new hardware and new-ish drums) took a while to break in. (pun intended) Also I found that even one or two clicks on the adjuster made a big difference. Once the shoes break in I'm sure a final adjustment can be made.

btw, did you put lube on the contact points? I put a little dab of antiseize at these points (shoe at backing plate, bottom anchors)

Cheers,

Neil.

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net> wrote: > Recently I changed the shoes on my 84 Inline 4-powered van. I have been > having a tough time getting the shoes adjusted, for various reasons. The > shoes 'wanted' to be tightly adjusted in order to give me a decent brake > pedal feel..Dragging slightly on the drums. I've been fiddling with them > for a few days now. .....