Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:32:34 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fuel/Temp Gauge Problem
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>

At 08:44 AM 9/29/2008, J Stewart wrote: >now. The temp gauge stays right at the top of the "warm up" section >of the gauge. It will go higher if a sit in traffic, but it has >never gone above the LED. When it gets close to the LED the fan will kick on.

Check the sender resistance per the chart in Bentley. Check at operating temperature that the voltage at the sender terminal is the same as the voltage at the gauge terminal -- if not, you have a bad connection somewhere. Find where the voltage changes, you've found the bad place.

> The fuel gauge is also erratic, it will register full right after > a fill up, then usually within 20-25 miles will start moving > around, sinking as low as 1/4 tank, then swing back up to full.

That sounds like a worn-out sender.

> On occasion, the temp gauge will just go "dead" dropping all the > way down, and when it does the fuel gauge does the same. Early on > in trying to troubleshoot this, I swapped out the voltage > stabilizer with two different used ones then a new one-same > symptoms with all three. I then cleaned up the ground cluster under > the dash-still no luck. I

Look for foil cracks. Make sure the plug terminals are nice and fat to give good contact. Set up some (red/yellow/green) LEDs with 1K resistors along the supply path from plug to gauge. Put one across the voltage regulator -- it should be on continuously. When the gauges stop, the LED that lights (or gets brighter) will pinpoint the problem area. If the problem is outside the cluster, the one on the voltage regulator will go out.

David

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage," '85 GL "Poor Relation"