Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Oct 2008 19:47:51 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: '83.5 westy starts, runs well, stalls, won't restart
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

oh, they can flood just fine ! All you have to have for one to flood is fuel being injected, but fouled or worn plus not firing the fuel in the cylinders. The fuel injection doesn't know that the plugs aren't firing if they're worn, have big gaps, etc. All the EFI know is 'I"m cranking, I'm supposed to hold the injectors open the right amount of time.' it's not 'smart' in any way. ( super modern cars are - , they can detect misfiring in individual cylinders, and shut off fuel to individual cylinders , and I would imagine even during cranking. Then you get to see the CEL. )

I can't think of a time in hundreds, practically thousands, that I've seen or worked on, of vanagons, where there was an actual fuel pump relay issue of any kind. One extremely reliable long-lifed part !

Even having it checked out is not much of a guarantee sometimes. I looked at really NICE looking 86 Westy - they had been asking $ 9,000. ( and it was down about $ 6K on serious repairs it needed ) The first thing I noticed was with the engine idling ( roughly and poorly too ) the alternator was jumping around by about an inch ..........just dying to break the mounting bolts or bracket ...........as obvious as 4 flat tires to any vanagon savvy person. They sellers said ........."oh we had it checked out "...........it was by a local VW shop............mostly an air-cooled type shop ...........but that shop missed a common and well known vanagon weak area ( alternator mounting ) by a country mile. A smart 10 year old could have easily spotted it. But a check out is much better than no check out. Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "neil N" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 7:07 PM Subject: Re: '83.5 westy starts, runs well, stalls, won't restart