Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Oct 2008 10:18:57 -0700
From:         Keith Hughes <keithahughes@QWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 3 Oct 2008 - Special issue (#2008-1075)

> Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 16:54:04 -0700 > From: JAIME E FORERO <jforero@SBCGLOBAL.NET> > Subject: AC does loses freon > > Hi, my 91 Vanagon's AC has been giving me the fits for a few years now. Every spring I have to get it loaded with freon. This year I had my mechanic take the evaporator down, he changed the expansion valve, put it rebuilt compressor and fixed a very small leak in the system. The charge is again low and I don't know what to do because we have checked all joints and there is no evidence of a leak using a leak detector. Obviously the freon is leaking somewhere. R12 was the original fluid but since we can't get it anymore he uses something called Freeze 12 which works OK but does not cool like R12. Any suggestions, hints, advise??? > Cheers > Jaime Jaime,

You're looking at 8 fittings, evaporator, condenser, TXV, 2 service ports, about 35 feet of hose, and a compressor shaft seal, all of which can leak. At each fitting, you have both the fitting-to-hose crimp - most of which are likely leaking to *some* degree after all these years - and the o-ring to device (compressor, drier, condenser, evaporator) seal which can also leak. So, you can expect that you'll lose some charge every year, and if it's in the 1 pound or so range, you'll likely never find it with a leak detector. You can go with the UV dye approach (i.e. Freeze-12 with dye), but that introduces another material into the system that reduces cooling efficiency - especially if you don't know whether it's been used before. The dye is not as volatile as the Freeze-12, so it stays behind when the Freeze-12 leaks out. A couple of potential issues with Freeze-12; it is a blend of R-134A and R142b, and the components *can* leak out at different rates, so as you keep 'topping' the system off with additional Freeze-12, the concentrations of the components can change, affecting cooling. Always best, when using a blend, to evacuate the system and recharge when you need to add refrigerant. Secondly, R142b can degrade nitrile o-rings and seals (sorry, but I don't know whether any nitrile was used in the Vanagon or not). That said, I've used Freeze-12 in the past (in a Golf), and it worked quite well.

You basically have 2 options; 1) live with it the way it is, 2) replace all of the hoses and the receiver/drier (always, always, always replace the receiver/drier when you have to break into the system - they are cheap, the dessicant does degrade and lose effectiveness over time, and they are basically where most of the crap in the system goes to hang out). Please do NOT consider any "stop-leak" products, as they will do more long term harm than any short time good (if they work at all). You also absolutely DO NOT want to convert to R-134A and PAG or Ester oil, *without* fully flushing the system, hoping to create some sort of 'sludge' to seal the hoses - that way lies madness. You probably don't want to replace that compressor AGAIN do you? If you go the route of replacing the hoses (and all hoses sold today are barrier hoses as far as I've seen) you can stick with Freeze-12, or you can convert to R-134A. If you live in a very hot climate (like here in Phoenix) you likely won't be happy with the R-134A performance unless you upgrade your condenser to a more efficient parallel flow style, such as all R-134A designed systems use. I recently converted to R-134 on my '86 Westy with the existing hoses and condenser, and it was pretty pitiful for performance (it was 112-115°F here at the time), so I went ahead and did the whole upgrade with all new hoses, condenser, and receiver/drier and the cost was about $275 for parts and R-134A. I had a local A/C (they're on the web at ACkits.com) shop fab the hoses for me, just took in the old ones, and they copied them. For a point of reference, the shop told me they would have charged about $1200 for labor if I had wanted them to do it.

Whichever way you go, make sure you use the A/C once a month or so to keep the compressor oiled and the seals wet. Letting it set idle for 6+ months really cuts down on compressor life.

Keith Hughes '86 Westy Tiico (Marvin)