Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Oct 2008 17:05:38 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: draining coolant
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>

I don't know if there is one really. there are allen screw plugs in the bottoms of both cylinder heads to drain the block, but getting at them isn't easy or practical. here's what I would do to get the most coolant out ........... I assume this is a water boxer. I'd undo the lowest main coolant hose I could find, remove the pressure bottle cap, and catch all that coolant. Then raise the front pretty high, and remove the bleed valve screw on top of the radiator...........that should allow a lot of coolant to flow out of the radiator, the main pipes, and the engine.

another strategy is to do it now, and since you'll never get more than about 75 % of all coolant out, counting both heater circuits too, do it again in a month as well..........then you'll have changed about 90 % of it by the second time.

I use conventional high quality ( usually Prestone exteneded life in the bright yellow gallon jug ) anti-frz mixed 50-50 with............ where I am ...........clean tap water, and I add 'water soluble oil' ............'cutting oil' that a machinist would use. Makes a wonderful water pump lube and rust inhibitor - have been doing this on hundreds of cars for a couple decades - works really well. Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Streib" <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2008 4:50 PM Subject: draining coolant