Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Oct 2008 19:12:17 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: draining coolant
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@cs.indiana.edu>

sure haven't had ANY issues EVER using that water soluble 'cutting oil' - in literally thousands of cars over the years. I can't say it does anything to the hoses. My 85's hoses are , let's see..............23 years old.

personally...........I find that 'my mixture' of quality conventional anti-frz with water and this water soluble oil works perfectly. One guy .......... I don't know if this is really true or not ........one guy claimed that phosphate-free VW Blue coolant ate out a wbxr water pump in some short period of time due to silicates in VW blue coolant. I'm kinda conservative, and I've seen many cases where 'trying too hard' ............say synthetic oil where conventional oil had been used forever .............caused problems. I tend to stay with what I know works. The most exotic thing is not always the actual best thing.

I've used Dexcool, and WV Blue coolant, and that kind that's less harmful to the environment ( propylene glycol might be it ) I don't usually bother to these days - just good ole high quality anti-freeze at 50-50 with my oil additive, and 'in some cases' some BarsLeak. Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Streib" <streib@cs.indiana.edu> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2008 6:22 PM Subject: Re: draining coolant