Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Oct 2008 10:14:17 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil dipstick pushed out of the tube
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>

Alan: Thanks. With regard to your breather hose, I had trouble finding oil resistant hose that's semi flexible. I bought some expensive hose from Autohausaz or Bus Depot(forget which). Sans that availability, I suggest that you find a flexible spring or two that fits inside your soft OE hose to prevent the collapsing. I couldn't find a suitable spring at our local hardware store, so I found a piece of soft copper pipe to stick inside. It didn't have to be a snug fit in there. Just enough to keep the airflow uninterrupted.

A stop gap measure to keep the dipstick in it's place might be to put a slight bend in it adding resistance to it's exit. I haven't looked at the Vanagon stick specifically, but didn't the old air cooled sticks have a second piece of metal next to the grip that could get spread like a cotter pin for more friction?

DM&FS

At 10:34 PM 10/4/2008, Allan Streib wrote: >This afternoon I removed the rubber tubing between the breather tower >and the intake. It seemed a little soft, but I didn't have anything >suitable at had to replace it. > >I removed the breather tower and noted that it had been sealed to the >case with RTV. I cleaned that off and made a gasket, and reinstalled it >after checking it for blockage and finding none. Likewise I did not see >any blockage on the intake side. > >Took the van out for a drive; I had received word that gasoline was >$3.19 a gallon in the next town ( about 15 minutes away ) which is about >$0.40 less than it's selling for here. > >I noted that the radiator fan never came on (though the temperature >gauge was right in the normal zone for the entire drive). > >Back at home, I checked the dipstick and it was pushed out again. I'll >hunt up some tubing to replace the old piece and see if it makes any >difference. I'm doubtful, but seems like a reasonable next step. I >also slipped a couple of fingers through the (upper) front grille and >the radiator was cold. I wonder if it's half full of air? > >Allan >-- >1991 Vanagon GL