Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Oct 2008 16:05:05 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Broken Bolt on Fuel Rail-Help
Comments: To: Michael Sullivan <sandwichhead@GMAIL.COM>

hi Michael, I imagine this is the one small 10 mm hex head screw on the side of the intake manifold ? one thing I might do it take just those two runners off the engine, so I can put it in a vice while I drill on it. What I usually do is try to center punch it dead on center - sometimes I might grind it flat to facilitate doing that, then drill it out with a small drill bit, then successively bigger.......until sometimes just the treads are left, and I pick those out. If I need to I clean up the threaded hole with a tap.

bad michael. There must be 10,000 times I thought I could make something that was working 'just a little better' and wished I'd left it alone. Personally, I recommend removing the crimp type clamps and replacing them with very high quality small screw clamps, so you can check their tightness now and then. I haven't found that the stock fuel hose particularly deteriorates - maybe some right at the ends, but otherwise it's pretty tough stuff. Scott ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Sullivan" <sandwichhead@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2008 4:40 AM Subject: Broken Bolt on Fuel Rail-Help