Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Oct 2008 19:27:21 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fwd: Please advise: great trip but engine melt down
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jr.arnott@GMAIL.COM>

The cooling system low pressure warning buzzer is a great idea.

( Re nit watching the gauges in a vanagon while driving.............. in aircraft you do a 'regular scan' ..........in cars it goes like this : Look as far down the road as you can, look all around right in front and to the front sides of you, look in the rear view and see what's there, look at the speedometer, then check gauges for fuel and coolant, and for warning lights. repeat. You just keep doing that as a regular scan of your situation outside, and your instruments warning lights. Over and over and over.

For a really bad Overheat with blown head gaskets......... bit of a toss up ........... you can do the heads - I suggest valve job too, plus gaskets, then put those on, put it all together, and fire it up, and see whatja got. You might find knocking or smoking, though I don't think a waterboxer would be too prone in that direction, generally.

or ..........you can go through the engine completely, or you can buy a rebuilt long black. The last one, assuming a quality rebuild, is probably the most gain 'for sure' ........the most expensive of course, but it should handle it for sure. Or good used engine of course ...........assuming you can find a pretty good one. Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Arnott" <jr.arnott@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2008 7:02 PM Subject: Fwd: Please advise: great trip but engine melt down