Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Oct 2008 12:28:30 -0700
From:         Jake Beaulieu <jake_beaulieu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: carpet alternatives

I love the wood floor I installed in my 82 Westy.  I installed it on top of the factory subfloor and butted it up against the cabinetry.  It did not interfere with fridge removal.   I am currently in the process of installing a wood floor in my 87 Syncro passenger van.  I yanked out the carpet and the factory sound deadening material.  My plan is to   1.  apply POR 15 to the sheet metal where it is needed 2.  Apply Fatmat sound deadening material to the floor, keeping well away from seams. 3.  Re-install factory sound deadening material. 4.  Put down the wood floor on top of the sound deadening material. 5.  Install a Westy fridge/sink cabinet (with Vitrofrigo) on top of the whole shabang.   I am planning on running the wood floor underneath the bench seat.  I didn't do this in my other van.  I may have to trim a bit off the bottom of the kickboard, or maybe I can just adjust it upwards a little bit.   I am not sure how I am going to trim it out near the sliding door.  The factory trim is not the same on the passenger vans and Westys.   I am amazed by how much the factory sound deadening material absorbs sound.  I have been driving around without it the past week and the difference is pretty remarkable.  I am hoping that the combination of the factory sound deadening material, after market material, and wood floor will really quiet it down.  Of course, the Fatmat is getting applied everywhere, not just the floor in the passenger area.   Ok, I finished mounting the Westy cabinet last night.  The Vitrofrigo has arrived and I have installed the mounting brackets in the cabinet.  Next I need to fabricate the trim to go around the front of the fridge.  My cabinet didn't come with any.  But wait.....the weather is beautiful and it is time to go camping.  Maybe I should have waited until December to take on this job!   jake