Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Oct 2008 10:38:45 -0700
From:         Neil2 <vidublu@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon, Rear speaker enclosures- I have them!
Comments: To: Keith Hughes <keithahughes@qwest.net>

Excellent data. Thanks!

I'm about to install new speaks in SaVannah and have been wondering about these details. The front lower mids in me Saab (convertible, if that makes a diff) are trashed. Think they're paper ('99) and have been told speaks don't last long in doors. Funny, they sound fine unless I pump them up. They also sound MUCH better than SaVannah's factory mids.

Don't ask me why I'm replacing Savannah's sound instead of the Saab's. Must be a Vanagon thing.

So, can you folks (Keith/Mike) list some good speaker Makes/Models for our Vanagon doors or otherwise, for us'n's who just like the sounds and don't do details?

I know a sound eng here but he looks down on me Def Techs (the bestest speaks I've ever had) so I defer to you this time.

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Keith Hughes <keithahughes@qwest.net> wrote:

> >> Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 15:09:33 -0700 >> From: Mike Miller <mwmiller@CWNET.COM> >> Subject: Re: Vanagon, Rear speaker enclosures- I have them! >> >> Being a long term audiophile, also pronounced 'nut', I'll attempt this. >> Everything degrades with time. But over the lifetime of us, or our vans: >> >> Paper cones degrade whether or not they're used. And that's probably what >> we >> have. >> >> Plastic doesn't degrade but the glue that holds the spider to the cone >> can, >> depends on what's used. Same with carbon fiber. >> >> Metal cones don't degrade and sometimes are connected by heat {read >> solder, >> silver solder, or brazing] and those connections don't degrade but can >> break, but usually not and the glues that are used are pretty permanent as >> well. >> >> Those are the common speaker materials. There are others, oh my many >> others, >> but they're not used much, if at all, in speakers for our vans. >> >> YMMV >> >> Mike >> >> Paper cones are certainly a weak link, and do degrade over time, > especially stored in high heat environments. But long before I'd worry > about the cone or the spider attachment, I'd look at the surround > material. Foam is used on 'cheap' speakers, and again, it'll die > whether used or not. Butyl (rubber) surrounds last much longer, but > still are the weakest spot IME. That said, a 'plastic' cone with a > butyl surround, stored indoors out of the sun, will last a Long time on > the shelf. So materials of construction are the first limiting factor, > with storage conditions next. The Boston Acoustics (doped paper cone, > butyl surround) in my van are 13 years old, and still going strong - > well, as strong as a 5 1/4" can. The same speakers on a rear deck, > exposed to the sun (here in Phoenix), would've been dead many years ago. > > Keith Hughes > '86 Westy Tiico (Marvin) > > BTW - yes 'he' is named Marvin, after Marvin the Martian. And he goes > by Marvin or Mr. Buslie (although while replacing the transaxle drive > flange seals yesterday, I found some other choice names for him as > well) :-) >

-- Neil2 '82 Diesel Westfalia (Fwd Puke Qualified) '86 Vanagon/Westfalia Wannabe (Savannah) Nunquam Pendite Divendium