Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Oct 2008 19:00:33 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon, Rear speaker enclosures- I have them!
Comments: To: Keith Hughes <keithahughes@QWEST.NET>

Although I generally despise anything French, Selmer Saxophones and Focal speakers are an exception. Their cheapo 6 1/2" separates are like $300 for the pair, and driven by a solid 75 watt quality amp, you will hear the difference. The Boston Separates are goo too, butsome folks think their tweeters are a little on the "brassie" side for the price they get for them. I spent like $1100 on the whole system(sony head unit and CD changer and the sub woofers(8" Rockfords) and that was like 8 years ago and they still are thumpin' away. I would challenge anyone to come up with an $1100 system that sounds as good as this one. All forms of music sound excellent in my van except for rap(which hasn't defiled the ears of the driver or passengers yet).

YMMV

At 02:10 PM 10/6/2008, Keith Hughes wrote: >Neil, > >Personally, I like the Boston Acoustics both soundwise and for longevity >(actually, I'm a B&W guy, and although they now have an automotive line >- soon to be available here in the US - you're likely looking at a few >grand so....). Second is probably Kenwood IMO. Just be aware though >that with a 4" speaker, the difference between say a $100 pair and a >$200 pair is likely to be very small, if noticeable at all. You just >can't move a whole lot of air with that small of a cone. I've installed >5 1/4" speakers in the lower portion of the front doors in Marvin, and >the difference in sound is quite significant (the 5 1/4" has almost >twice the cone area as the 4"). If you want the best in sound - without >significant modification - you might want to go with separate >components, with a 5 1/4" woofer in the lower door, and the tweeter >installed in the stock speaker location. And, of course, a subwoofer >would really fill out the sound field, but I personally haven't found >any space that I want to give up to install one. We typically have the >back bench seat jammed to the gills when camping, so I don't want to >give up any of that space, or any of the other cubbies. YMMV. > >Keith Hughes >'86 Westy Tiico (Marvin) > >Neil2 wrote: >>Excellent data. Thanks! >> >>I'm about to install new speaks in SaVannah and have been wondering >>about these details. The front lower mids in me Saab (convertible, if >>that makes a diff) are trashed. Think they're paper ('99) and have >>been told speaks don't last long in doors. Funny, they sound fine >>unless I pump them up. They also sound MUCH better than SaVannah's >>factory mids. >> >>Don't ask me why I'm replacing Savannah's sound instead of the >>Saab's. Must be a Vanagon thing. >> >>So, can you folks (Keith/Mike) list some good speaker Makes/Models for >>our Vanagon doors or otherwise, for us'n's who just like the sounds >>and don't do details? >> >>I know a sound eng here but he looks down on me Def Techs (the bestest >>speaks I've ever had) so I defer to you this time.