Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Oct 2008 13:43:51 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Recent Car Talk Shows - re air bags
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <goose1047@GMAIL.COM>

Woman friend of mine yesterday ............ 95 Ford Escort station wagon ( we call it Escargo ) ran into the back of someone, not badly.......... minor front end damage. both air bags went off, bruised her bare arms, and made the horn stick on, even with the key off. She drove it home that way.........both air bags hanging out, horn blaring..........hood latch area got bent a little which I fixed in two minutes.

I guess by 95 they still didn't have 'smart' air bags which deploy less violently at slower speeds and lower g-forces, and more forcefully for high speed severe impacts. Silly that they originally and primarily made air bags for use in severe high speed crashes. there is a woman who had her one year old decapitated by a jetta air bag in a shopping mall parking lot incident. - that's right, as in killed dead by an air bag in a minor fender bender. She probably collected 5 million dollars too.

Also........air bags help in certain types of crashes, but not all. they are getting smarter with side air bags in the head liner and so forth. Modern cars have about 8 air bags in them sometimes. But for traditional airbags........ Older ones designed ones for severe frontal collision crashes, won't help much at all in a roll over crash, as in going off the side of the road and thrashing around that way. I'd be surprised if South African vanagons have air bags. just doesn't seem likely.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Grebneff" <goose1047@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 12:30 PM Subject: Re: Recent Car Talk Shows