Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Oct 2008 15:27:31 -0600
From:         Andrew Grebneff <goose1047@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: can you put 17 inch wheels on a 84 vanagon?

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 1:44 PM, The Westy man <thewestyman@gmail.com> wrote: > Andrew, > What 250 hp are you talking about. Did I miss something? Did you finally > assemble that Porsche engine and transmission you were talking about years > ago? > Zoltan

Hi Zoltan

The Subaru EG33 engine I'm using. This and the Porsche trans were installed some time ago (QUITE some time ago!), but I ran out of money due to my mismanagement...

There's a well-baffled short stainless winged sump which needs a dipstick tuve added.

So to get the van drivable (if not legal) I still need to have a Link management system installed and the cooling system (probably need a new radiator and fan too), as well as stainless pipes) and throttle connected.

To get it USABLE I'll need a stainless extractor exhaust made up (no point paying to have a custom rustable extractor made!) and adapt the shifter... for this last I have two options: 1) Buy a used Porsche 965 shifter tower at horrendous cost and a new shortshift kit at a rather less horrendous price, then modify the shift rod... and still have a long-throw and wobbly long shif lever 2) Make a raised console and fit a nice (eg 1987 Toyota Corolla) shifter and make up a cable mechanism... fiddly

The to get it LEGAL I'll need the suspension parts I have just paid for from an ad in TheSamba, so that I can fit my Porsche brakes and have the modifications certified.

So I'm getting there slowly... I just snagged a set of really cheap fiberglass bumpers and side moldings too, and am thinking about a set of H&R springs (I'd go for race springs, but they're not available for T3s... yet). Prices for these are as low as $210 if you shop around, saving at least $100 on the manufacturer's price.