Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Oct 2008 16:18:54 -0600
From:         Andrew Grebneff <goose1047@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Stalled project. WAS: can you put 17 inch wheels on a 84 vanagon?

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > sounds like a stalled out project.

It's been stalled for a long time! It took ages for me to get the engine & trans installed; they sat around for a few years first. And now it's been another long while since anything was done, but at last I'm getting those needed suspension parts.

> stock hp on a 3.,3 SVX Subaru engine is 230 hp- 250 I'm sure possible with a > Link system ..........

Stock 3.3 outside the US is 240hp. With a basic Link there should be at least an extra 10hp. Still want a supercharger... if I hadn't screwed-up my finances I'd have been able to buy a NOS Lysholm, but by the time I came by some more moolah it was of course sold.

> I'd probably just modify vanagon shift linage to work. Even for a 5 speed. > I don't think it would be that hard even. > But I weld and have boxes of oddball what-nots and parts from all kinds of > cars to work from too. Half the time when I need something for an engine > coversion thing, I just make it. Or adapt something.

The throws and rotation are wrong and the reverse position is different. That's why MSDS insisted that a G50 shifter is necessary. With a cable the rotation can be tailored by the length of the actuation arms clamped to the trans shift rod. The throw (axial movement) might be trickier to set-up.

Whatever, a long shift lever mounted on the floor is going to have a long throw and will be flexible... not nice.

> 'ran out of money due to mismanagement' ........lol. Nice way to put it.

Accurate... I had the money to do the whole conversion plus whatever else I wanted to do to the van, but spent it on other things faster than I'd thought, and when I checked I found that I'd spent it all! Add incompetent to the description...

> Get that thing running........THEN keep modifying a running van as time and > money allow, > but do whatever you want of course. > I just love building them up one stage at a time........ > first you get a working engine and trans mounted in the body/chassis. > then you get clutch and shift linkage working....... > then you just keep going ...........cooling system, engine management, > exahaust system etc. > and sure, sometimes if you make someting that's not 'the, the best' at > first............you spend more time in the end re-doing that to the final > spec, but ..........this is me personally...........but having something > that runs and needs upgrading and improvements, is more fun and rewarding > than something that can't even run or move. > For engine covnersions I always advocate moving as directly as possible to > having it running. > Even that can take a LOT sometimes............... > whether it's gettting glitches out or whatever......... > then, after I have something that fundamentally works and runs.......then I > do special oil pans, modify the suspension, get the AC and tachometer > working etc.

Ideally this would be so, but the Nazis in New Zealand have decreed that ALL modifications have to be certified, and each round of certification costs $250. Hence my desire to go through it only once and get it all done at the one price!

> learned this a long time ago : "Incompletion drains energy." > that is, the more that is not done, the behinder you feel, and the more > discourageing it gets, and the more it seems like it will never get done. > But when you can turn that key .......... > I might even run them with no exahsust system, just to confirm that it can > run........then the next step is real simple.........build the exhsut system > on.

That's my intention. Run it on the street a little to see how it works, without exhaust if necessary. Fat little chance of being nabbed by the highwaymen where I live.

-- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin, New Zealand Fossil preparator Mollusc, Toyota & VW van nut Temporarily in Calgary, AB, Canada <goose1047@gmail.com>