Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:35:53 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Non Vanagon related brake line question

Folks: I'm replacing the rear brake lines on a 96 Mercury Mystique. They've rusted out and left the girl with no brakes. Mercury doesn't5 offer those lines anymore, but I can bend some new ones and I have already bought the proper unions and adapters and generic Poly Armor lines(spozed to not rust).

My question is, Mercury took a "circuitous" route with these factory lines and I don't see the logic behind it. They certainly didn't protect the lines from rust by doing that. Is there any real reason why I should have to put 8 bends in a 4 foot line when I can get the line to where it's gong in a lot more direct fashion without exposing the line to racks and other debris? Both lines connect behind the right rear part of the gas tank and spread out over the rear suspension in a crazy fashion.

I guess my other question is why are the factory lines mounted in the little plastic holders? Is this a safety thing? Do they move around when pressure is applied? Could alternative mounting steps be used that didn't involve the factory mounts? The Haynes manual for the Mystique has 2 paragraphs on removing brake lines, but nothing about how to get them out and what needs to be removed to change them. It appears that to do the job as the factory did, I would have to pull the rear suspension or at least lower it enough to get my hands in there to measure and bend the new lines. I'd like to feel good about whatever repair I do, since this is a volunteer job for a friend. Any advice would be a big help

thanks

DM&FS