Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Oct 2008 20:32:25 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Recent Car Talk Shows - re air bags
Comments: To: Joy Hecht <hecht.joy@GMAIL.COM>

Obviously .............tragedies like this have lead to .......... small children always in the back. Front passenger seat air bags that can be turned off - though that was short-lived because next they came up with seats that sense the weight and presence of the person in the passenger's seat...........'smart air bags' . and I think there are two stage air bag systems now.

It was pretty dumb to make airbags for 60+ mph crashes, but that can triggered full force at 20 mph. Just happened to a woman friend of mine too - 95 Ford Escort.........I doubt she was going over 25mph, if that. got distracted or in a rush, ran into the car in front of her.............didn't even do that much damage to the front of her car, yet both air bags deployed, and as far as I know, full force. No one was in the passernger's front seat, and she keeps her granddaughter in a child's seat in back of course. The air bag from the steering wheel hub bruised her arms somewhat. Sure seemed to me that there was no need for air bags to go off, but I wasn't there either. She described as 'no big deal' .......the minor crash. I think the passenger's air bag is what cracked the windshield too. She might claim it on her insurance.............which would be 're-do both front air bags completely, fix the stuck on horn ( might have to do with the steering wheel hub air bag going off ) ........new windshield, and replace the full size wrap around front plastic bumper............I'm guestitmating up to $ 3,000 for that repair. I think it's pretty fair to say that many, many newer cars are 'totaled' insurance-wise, because the are so expensive to repair, even for minor crashes. Her car drove just fine.............the headlights worked just fine, the hood was barely affected in the latch area, which I fixed in about 5 seconds...... yet it could be 3 grand in repair costs. I'm hoping she can get paid for it, the whole amount, and keep the car. She's driving it daily right now. Worst thing is the horn doesn't work, and a cracked windshield.......... heck, in Western Washington I saw more cracked windshields than I've ever seen in my life. It was very unusual to see a used car for sale that didn't have a cracked windshield. And would anyone know if the air bags have to be working in a car so equipped ? .........from a 'legal equipment point of view - just like horn and all lights need to be working etc ? At least no one got hurt ! Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joy Hecht" <hecht.joy@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, October 10, 2008 4:55 PM Subject: Re: Recent Car Talk Shows - re air bags