Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Oct 2008 16:04:28 -0700
From:         Keith Hughes <keithahughes@QWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gauges
Comments: To: Mike <mbucchino@charter.net>

Sorry to waste the bandwidth, but... > Sea level pressure IS assumed as the "0" reading on every pressure > guage designed for automotive use. Only uncalibrated ones. Gauge pressure is gauge pressure, and is referenced only to *local station pressure*, not sea level. That's why gauges have a zero adjustment (unless they're cheap junk gauges). The station pressure in Denver is about 11 psia, so a gauge calibrated at sea level will be off by roughly 25% unless re-zeroed, and vice-versa. Thus, "sea-level" is irrelevant for gauge pressure measurements. > As an example of my meaning; a new tire, once mounted on its wheel > rim, before ever having any air pressure added to inflate it to spec, > contains ambient air pressure of the atmosphere around you. This > would be measurable as 14.5 to 14.7 PSI (close enough, as most > automotive guages won't even read this finely) at sea level. Any > pressure guage reading must assume to be a value above standard > ambient sea level atmospheric pressure, or 1 bar. Read the following > quote from the wiki link to help you understand what I'm referring to; Mike, I've spent 15 years running a metrology lab, and calibrated thousands of gauge and absolute pressure gauges/transducers/manometers. I hardly need a Wiki explanation. And a tire gauge hardly even qualifies as a gauge as commonly used.

When someone makes a real request for info about sender/gauge compatibility, and you want to make some snarky response, you really ought to at least make sure you're right. To quote; "what's so hard about that?"

Keith Hughes '86 Westy Tiico (Marvin)