Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:59:19 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Running without a cat...?
Comments: To: Jim Johnston <inmytree1@GMAIL.COM>

there are many vanagons running with hollow cats. That by itself does no harm. ( if chunks of cat material went downstream into the muffler..........that could cause problems of course )

a factor to consider ............a hollow can for a cat doesn't flow as well as a good cat, or a straight pipe in place of a cat. don't tell anyone I said this ............but a slick thing to do is weld a piece of straight pipe into a hollow cat. Best flow, least restriction. There's on size of EMT electrical conduit that fits perfectly - just weld it inside at both ends. I've never done this of course, just heard about it.

re 'puffing' from a muffler - the most fun one I ever saw would expand out on the side as pressure built in it........then release..........looked like the thing was alive and breathing. it might be technically illegal to run without a cat, even if no emissions testing are required on your year van in your state. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Johnston" <inmytree1@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:06 AM Subject: Running without a cat...?