Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Oct 2008 12:40:14 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] pumped out -VOODOO
Comments: To: Matthew Snook <matt@SNOOKSBAND.COM>

poor contact. on the dash light bulbs..........they so easily don't make contact. next time it happens, rap on the top of the instrument cluster - that often will make the light come back on. The 'next level up' is to remove the instrument cover, and wiggle the dash light bulb holders - those white things.

the instrument cluster uses a printed circuit. on many automotive printed circuits.........like Vanagon instrument cluster one..............and Volvo tail lights........where the plastic bulb holder inserts and twists to make contact on the printed circuit - it's just fundamentally weak there. Just 'dumb design' ..........or 'theoretically should always work' but in real life, often doesn't.

I've seen two piece of metal touching ..........firmly touching, when they are supposed to conduct electricity from one to the other, and they won't ........ I've seen that many times. Electrical contact cleaner..............get a spray can of that and try using it on stubborn contact areas. there are many tricks in this whole realm - of getting electrical contact where you want it. - you know..........jam a tiny piece of tinfoil in the right place if that's what it takes - not that I do that very often, but that's how you need to think.............*what* is gong to create contact again. I am constantly tightening up female spade connectors, and treating the contact surfaces, and so forth. Think on a molecular and atomic level too sometimes......... what electricity actually is.........and how to make it go where you want it to go. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthew Snook" <matt@SNOOKSBAND.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 4:59 PM Subject: Re: [WetWesties] pumped out -VOODOO