Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Oct 2008 13:10:40 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Technical question re: Injector firing signal
Comments: To: James Bradley <beer_eighty@YAHOO.COM>

get a Noid Light at a FLAPS. I never bother with resistance checks on the AFM........but they are there in Bentley. what I find happens with AFM's is the get 'uneven' ............and, it's fundamentally a weak area - it's where electronics interface with mechaical contact and movement - always a basic weakness. Modern cars don't have an AFM with moving parts or contacts. They use another principal to get infor about how much air is going into the engine, so the ECU knows.

tricks on AFM's include bending the arm inside so it rubs on a new contact area. There are rebuilt ones, and there are new ones. I have run 6 used AFM's back to back on a good running 1.9 wbxr..........only on of the was pretty 'even' .......all the rest ran 'lumpy'..........unevenness of acceration. I think the waterboxer fuel injection is *slightly* inherantly uneven in power delivery thourgh the gears anyway ............though my 85 Wolfsburg Weekender with full 2.1 waterboxer fuel injection, and auto trans...........isn't 'uneven' while accelerating at all. M7y 83 Westy, with 2.1 and 1.9 fuel system is slightly..........but I havn't tried a new AFM on it either.

I forgot if this is a 1.9 . ( I forgot until below it's an air-cooled ! ) if it is..........where the ECU gets its single from the distributor/ignition is very distinct and easy to locate. On the Ignitor on the firewall, left side there...........there are about 6 or 7 wires going to the ignitor plug. One of them is white. this white wire, is the ONLY connection between the ignition system and the ECU on a 1.9 waterboxer. That's the wire the ecu gets that info through.

on the 2.1 its fully integrated as, the igniter function is inside the ECU.

the ECU sees the engine is turnng via the igntion system. to fire the injectors it doesn't actually need the AFM signal. if you install the AFM and air box, but acciedently forget to plug in the AFM......it'll start and run. It'll even drive around weakly, or hold back, then rev out well at full throttle, but it won't run right. AFM signal is not an absoute requirement for the ecu to fire the injectors. oh........shoot........... I could look in the Bentley I suppose - I try 'not to' know much about air-cooled vanagons ! there may not be a throttle position switch or switches. Sorry to mislead you there !

Sounds like you are understanding it pretty well about the fuel pump relay. and yes..........all cars have something, to shut off the fuel pump if the engine stalls, but the key is left on. In yours it's the AFM signal that keeps the fuel pump relay energized I think. when it's running again.........I think you'll fiind if it's running, and you intentinally stall it in gear, ( but keep the key no ) the fuel pump will not keep running. Great that you're getting into it deeply. You'll have it figured out pretty soon I think. scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Bradley" <beer_eighty@YAHOO.COM> To: <VANAGON@GERRY.VANAGON.COM>; "Scott Daniel" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 9:26 AM Subject: Re: Technical question re: Injector firing signal