Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Oct 2008 16:00:12 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: T3 (Vanagon) tires
Comments: To: "Arthur,Dave" <Dave.Arthur@NSCC.CA>

oh Dave, you're gonna star a lot of trouble here...........lol

never use 'P' tires on a vanagon. That stands for 'passenger car ' - not stiffed-walled enough at all for a vangaon. seriously. yes, you want LT tires, or C load rated tires. look on your tire sticker right where you open your driver's door..........where you swing your feet in. on my 86 GL it says : 185 R 14 C 6 PR ( six ply rating ) that is the dead perfect tire for your van. there are also 185 R14C's that are D load rating, also called 8 ply rating. some people run thouse. I think they're a little stiff, and like the C load rating 6 ply rated ones more......or .......don't tell anyone this, I might run D load rated in the rear, and C load rated in the front, and NEVER the other way around ! < there are 195 R14 C's too........but I don't especially recommend going to that bigger size . ) Be sure to see what your spare is........if it's 25 years old........toss it and save one of your current tires for a spare. Tires deteriorate with age, from a safty point of view. No tire, even if it's never touched the ground is really safe, if it's over two decades old. )

here's a great, great tire resource.............www.tirerack.com. you can search there by tire size, or brand or whatever. lots of specs and reviews. I'd go there and search for 185 R 14C in 6 ply rating. Last time I bought a set of studdless winter tires from them , they charged me a super reasonable. 40 bucks shipping for 4 tires from Las Vegas to Southern Oregon. I just have them sent directly to my tire shop.

And 'tires' ...........vanagon people can go nutty about that subject, and go on and on and on- so it's always a somewhat inflammatory subject to bring up ! you can also read reviews of various tires for vanagons at raodhouse.com . scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Arthur,Dave" <Dave.Arthur@NSCC.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 2:31 PM Subject: T3 (Vanagon) tires

Any suggestions from the list as to what tires to use on a 1986 Vanagon Westfalia?

I have seen discussions about a load range C being required, which is understandable. However, how does this relate to the current sizes and type of tires on the North American market? Iım guessing an LT class tire should be acceptable, but what P size?

Thanks

Dave