Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Oct 2008 23:42:50 -0400
From:         Chris S <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Look at my crack!
Comments: To: Joseph Fortino <fortino1@earthlink.net>

Yes it is a Stebro. It's a great sounding muffler and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for longevity and quality.

As for the crack, I've had some additional input I've considered.

For one, it's a long pipe and there's no bracket to dampen resonance. I have no proof that the pipe is the right length for damaging resonance to set in, but a bracket would certainly stabilize it, dampen whatever resonance there may be and reduce the stress on the exhaust flange.

Two, the exhaust came off another engine and was installed on this one. The exhaust covered several thousands of miles on this engine in another camper. The engine was removed and shipped to me in its entirety. The cracked exhaust pipe is was shielded by the cross bar, but I think you see the opportunity for some additional stress here.

Three, the exhaust is beautiful, sounds wonderful, and is certainly a great addition to the Vanagon.

So, there's the whole picture. I'm off tomorrow and will visit a competent muffler shop where with knowledge gained thanks to everyone's input I hope we'll come up with a good and lasting repair.

2008/10/16 Joseph Fortino <fortino1@earthlink.net>: > are you running a stebro? looks like it > > Joe > > > -----Original Message----- >>From: Chris S <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM> >>Sent: Oct 16, 2008 6:40 AM >>To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >>Subject: Look at my crack! >> >>Yeah, I thought that would get your attention. :-) >> >>A follow up to my stainless welding question... >> >>Here are the pics: >> >>http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7/misterpolak/WBX_transplant/Example_Pics/Exhaustcrack1.jpg >>http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7/misterpolak/WBX_transplant/Example_Pics/Exhaustcrack2.jpg >> >>The crack started at the top. The pipe sprang away and up from the >>flange. There was about a 1.5 cm gap before I >>put the obvious hose clamp on it to hold it against the flange - this >>is so I can make it to the muffler shop. >> >>These pipes are stainless steel. What do you think about welding this? >> >> >> >>-- >>Chris S. >>Disclaimer: "Death and serious injury may occur" > > > Have a nice Day :) > > >

-- Chris S. Disclaimer: "Death and serious injury may occur"