Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Oct 2008 06:15:53 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine tin (was Re: Look at my crack!)
Comments: cc: streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU

In a message dated 16/10/2008 11:50:05 A.M. Central Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Allen, those are the push rod tube cover plates. They are there to protect the fragile push rod tubes from being damaged from road debris and causing a major oil leak. They are still available from VW new but expensive. They are a PITA to install ~ remove as the mounting tabs are made to go on the lower exhaust studs which may be hard to remove unless they have been recently replaced with stainless, brass or new other hardware. I always open up the hole in the tab so that it is a slot which makes for easier removal ~ installation. That way you do not need to completely remove the bolt or nut on the exhaust stud, just loosen it enough to slip the tab in there. The lower mounting is to the block and that is easy. Some folks drill holes in them to have easy access to the coolant drain plug in the heads otherwise they must be removed to access those drain plugs. I do not do this as I have a better way of flushing and filling the cooling system. These cover plates are renowned for rusting away into oblivion and I do recommend coating them with POR-15 which is not easy as the metal they are made from is hard to get the POR-15 to stick to without sandblasting them first to get a rough enough surface everywhere to allow the POR-15 to stick. Still that is not the perfect solution either as these plates are made up of two layers of tin and there is no practical way to get the POR-15 in between the two layers so rusting could still occur there. Also the tabs being bolted to the exhaust studs causes the tab to get quite hot which causes the POR-15 to peel off on the tabs. I shoot Krown rust proofing oil in between the two layers which seems to help that situation. The part numbers of these two push rod tube covers is below and they are the same on all VW waterboxer engines, 1.9s and 2.1s, if your looking for good used ones. If you find good ones with broken or missing tabs, the tabs can be remade and welded on with good success. So.....there ya go.......all you ever wanted to know about push rod tube cover plates !

Push rod tube cover plate, RH, 025 109 656 - $129.62 Push rod tube cover plate, LH, 025 109 655 - $129.62

The prices are VW Canada's retail price last time I ordered them.

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) ) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/exhaust.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 12 ~ 15, 2008