Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Oct 2008 16:03:54 -0700
From:         Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 Syncro; Failed Emissions "Say it isnt so Joe:" :o)

Did you search the list archives?

>>CA Smog Failed - 1985 1.9L<< was a thread in late June of this year, Dennis Haynes gave a good explanination of why & what with regards to the emission testing.

Rob becida@comcast.net

At 10/18/2008 02:03 PM, John C... wrote: >Hi All, > >Yup, my new (to me) 87 Syncro 2.1 Failed Emissions ( for the 3rd time) !!! > >Readings: ( and the third test was Way worse than the first two ) !!! > >What I did between the 2nd test & the 3rd test >was to get the bus out on the freeway >& hit it hard for about 50 miles. >Kicked the cat many times >ran out the gas & put premium in it. >but readings got worse ??? > >RPM: 991 %CO2: 11.8 %O2: 3.3 HC: 788 CO(%): 1.53 FAIL > >RPM: 2511 %CO2: 13.5 %O2: 1.6 HC: 203 CO(%): .88 PASS > >I've changed oil (with 1qt Marvel), filter, air filter. >Plugs, plug wires, rotor, cap > >I now have an O2 sensor, & Cat on the way. > >My question is; >Will the old muffler affect Emissions? >Should it be replaced as well? > >Bus runs quiet enough & I'm going to put a subbie in soon. > >What can I do to the MAFM? (clean? adjust somehow?) >Timing? (retard)? > >Any & all help much appreciated !!! > >thanks, >John C... > >No virus found in this incoming message. >Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com >Version: 8.0.173 / Virus Database: 270.8.1/1731 - Release Date: >10/17/2008 7:01 PM