Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Oct 2008 22:10:59 -0400
From:         Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Don't cry for me Wasserboxer

Dave Arthur <dave.arthur@NSCC.CA> writes:

> Subaru's fix for their leaking head gasket problem ... is likely the > same as Holts Radweld. Container is the same shape, same quantity (125 > ml), same color (blue) container with a red cap, and even has the > HOLTS name near the bottom. Also says "Manufactured in England for > Subaru of America, Inc." > > I guess someone had to make it :-) It's interesting that Subaru has > put some much faith in this fix.

All Subaru likely cares about is will it get the motor past the warranty term. I found this from Holt's own FAQ interesting:

Q. Why is Holts Radweld not suitable for a Rover 825 or 827?

A. This statement was made by Rover to all manufacturers of radiator sealants, as it was considered that these 2 models could suffer a malfunction of their capillary housing unit, being narrower than other vehicles.

That seems to suggest it CAN occlude passages.

That said, I did order some because I have some very slight seeping at the water gaskets.

Allan -- 1991 Vanagon GL