Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Oct 2008 13:25:02 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      VANAGON CAFE is moving because AOL Hometown will be closing on
              10/31/08

Hello Folks,

Please accept my apologies for the crossposts for those of you on multiple Lists. If you do not visit Vanagon Cafe, then this is your opportunity to do so. If you don't want to visit Vanagon Cafe, then you can just ignore the rest of this message.

As the subject line says, AOL has seen it fit to close down Hometown AOL where Vanagon Cafe is presently hosted. A domain was acquired a year or so ago for Vanagon Cafe:

www.vanagoncafe.com and www.vanagoncafe.info

If you have those bookmarked, then you do not have to do anything different. However, if you are still using the Hometown AOL URL, it is not supposed to work after 10/31/08. At that time, I will point the URL to the new Vanagon Cafe site on Google Sites.

This as an opportunity to make some long overdue updates to the site (some pages have not been updated since 2001). It's time for me to learn how to write some simple HTML codes anyway. Your patience will be greatly appreciated as it will be a steep learning curve for me. Changes will happen very slowly until I get better acquainted with the new hosting service. When I started Vanagon Cafe in 1999, there weren't very many Vanagon focused websites. Coyote's Vanagon.com, Steve Schwenk's Syncro.org, and TomC's Relitech websites inspired me to start these hobby pages. Anyway, the site will have a different look to hopefully make text easier to read. I though the old maroon text over a black background cool but not exactly popular with those of us visually challenged. It's time to stop ignoring those "suggestions".

The new Vanagon Cafe will reside in Google Sites. Access is as easy as going to www.vanagoncafe.com. Google Sites is pre-formatted and VC will stay within their format for simplicity's sake as well as sheer laziness to learn code. Just to recap, the new site will be available as soon as some progress is made and definitely before Hometown AOL closes it's doors.

If you have a homepage on AOL, I suggest you start doing something about saving your data before the end of the month.

Cheers, -- BenT