Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:16:15 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Don't cry for me Wasserboxer
Comments: To: Jeff <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>

Jeff, I don't see how this can be. I have seen this scenario: Vanagon is overheating due to water leak or radiator fan not working. Person repairs water leak or radiator fan and perhaps adds a bottle of Bar's Leak because he sees some seeps as well. The overheat condition has liquefied a bunch of corrosion that was happily sitting in the bottom of the engine water jacket and this has been pumped into the radiator. Now the van starts to overheat because of a plugged radiator but it is not the Bar's Leak, it is the crud that got suspended in the antifreeze and was flushed into the radiator. I have looked inside these radiators and the trash in there is usually orange (not black). This is nothing but corrosion sludge.

That has been my experience. I have never seen black sludge inside bad radiators only orange. If you weigh a bad radiator it will weigh several pounds heavier than the new one when it is empty. Are you telling me that a small bottle of Bar's Leak that weighs only a few onces is going to plug up a radiator and then cause it to weigh several extra pounds? This is sludge due to corrosion.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Jeff wrote: > I have... Two in the last year alone. One vanagon, one eurovan. Both > had minor water leaks, but no other issues. Within days of adding bars > leak, both had overheating issues due to clogged radiators. > > Cheers, > > Jeff > > iPhone email. > > On Oct 15, 2008, at 8:27 AM, Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> wrote: > >> I have never seen a radiator fail because it was full of Bar's >> Leak but every one I have ever replaced has been full of >> rust. >> >> Ken Wilford >> John 3:16 >> www.vanagain.com >> >> >> Dave Arthur wrote: >>> I have a persistent drip between my RH cylinder head and block on >>> my '86 2.1 >>> WBX. Tears of Glycol... >>> >>> Compression is good and no signs of head gasket failure ... Yet. >>> >>> I almost hate to ask, but what about a 'stop Leak' product or the >>> like? Or >>> is this sort of fix nix verboten? >>> >>> If the coolant gasket is leaking, is it inevitable that the >>> cylinder seals >>> will follow? Would a pre-emptive replacement of the head gaskets, >>> coolant >>> and compression stave off further problems? >>> >>> Advice welcome! >>> >>> Dave >>> >>> >