Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:43:18 -0700
From:         "B.J.R." <beer_eighty@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Timing vanagon without timing scale, only insturment ?'s
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

Hey David, Just a side note. Going through your equation below, I did my measurements on the crank pulley, 62cm = 620 mm/72 = 6.21111x5=43.055/10=4.30cm so taking that and marking that distance on the pulley I get A measurement But while doing this I found the chewed up timing scale stuck into pulley itself And found that the above equation result was way bigger then the actual timing marks spacing This morning it occured to me, 2 rotations equals one stroke so does that above equation need to be divided by 2?

So I was able to time it temporarily mounting the demolished timing scale

But I thought Id point out the discrepancy for others future use

1) mechanically determine firing-stroke TDC on #1 cylinder, using a

probe into the plug-hole. For check, the mark on the crank pulley should be in about the right place per the picture in Bentley.

2) Mark that position in the place where the scale should be.

2a) :-) Measure or otherwise discover the circumference of the crank pulley, then calculate the distance (circumference / 72) represented by five degrees. Assuming the engine turns to the right, mark the crank pulley that distance to the left of the TDC mark. Now time using basic timing light, but matching the 5-degree mark to the case mark.

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage," '85 GL "Poor Relation"