Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Oct 2008 02:50:37 +0000
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: We lost an icon last night.

We have truly lost a friend to the Vanagon community. I purchased two engines from him. One for my son's 80 Westy about 6 years ago and then another for my 87 Westy this past summer. When I called him in May to build an engine for the 87, it was if we were old, long-time friends having a usual phone conversation. He made me feel comfortable with the purchase of one of his rebuilts. We spoke on the phone for about an hour about my 87, what I was planning to do once I had a new engine in it, testing me on my Vanagon knowlege (presumably so that I wouldn't muck up one of his works of art). At the end of the call, I asked if he needed a deposit and he said, no, just pay when it was done.

About a month or so later he called to say the engine was done, and that he put in a set of new German pistons and liners that he was saving for an engine that he had planned to build for one of his Vanagons. I picked up the engine at his shop and spent a couple of hours while he went over this and that, put together a parts kit, hose kits, gaskets, etc...etc.... He made sure I knew what I was doing, and if I had any questions or problems to give him a call...

He patiently waited for the core engine while I spent two weeks of quality time with my 15 year old son installing the new engine.

I've read all of the comments about Bob that were sent tonight, and we all have had the same experiences with Bob. He was a class act, a one of a kind. He will be missed. My thoughts and sympathies go to his family.

Bob does live on in his work.....from now on, when I start up my 87 with one of Bob's last engines, I will smile and say "thanks".

Rest in peace, Bob!

Ric

_________________________________________________________________ When your life is on the go—take your life with you. http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/115298558/direct/01/