Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Oct 2008 07:29:10 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: We lost an icon last night

In a message dated 23/10/2008 10:07:54 P.M. Central Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Well, that hit me like a ton of bricks this morning. Sure makes you understand how fragile life really is. I have known Bob ever since I have been on this List which is way back in the beginning. I eventually bought one of his motors for my van which did end up haveing a small problem and without hesitation it got set straight. I have been to his place a few time and met his family. My condolences go out to them. Bob we will miss you, here and everywhere ! May your next journey be good also ! Now, to add to this story of Lost Icons, yesterday morning I received notice that my good friend and customer Gerry Channer had succumbed to a long, long battle with Leukemia. He had been in the Ottawa hospital undergoing a bone marrow transplant since early June and it was not going well lately so I was expecting this note any day. Funny it comes on the same day as Bob's passing. For those of you who did not know Gerry, see he & Sharon's travelblog here > _Profile for Thymeoff - Canada_ (http://www.travelpod.com/members/thymeoff) . Gerry & Sharron who owned a very prosperous herb farm near Almonte, sold the farm, came to me looking for Westy to take on a trip to South America. I found one for them in North Bay, ON, through the Vanagon List, an '87 with 15,000 km on the clock. He went and looked, bought it and delivered it to me to prepare for the trip. Off they went in the middle of a January snowstorm some 4 ~ 5 years ago. They spent the next three years driving that bus all over hell's half acre, even driving it off a cliff in the Andes mountains and when I was in Santa Cruz two years ago to deliver my CARAT to my daughter April who moved there, we met up with Gerry & Sharon on their way back to Ottawa to get his Leukemia looked after. We spent a few days together there while Van Cafe installed some new tires and checked the brakes. That was the last time I saw him. When he got back to Ottawa I was too busy or he was busy getting ready to enter the hospital. He kept in touch with me constantly making plans for me to service the bus so when his medical issues were resolved he and Sharon were shipping out to Africa with that bus ! Well, now that won't happen. So, I will make my trip to Mexico this winter and each and every Cerveza and Tequila will be toasted to Bob and Gerry as we will all be joining them one fine day. May they rest in peace both of them.

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) ) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/exhaust.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 12 ~ 15, 2008