Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:00:48 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Seldom used 2.1 has low compression
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>

Sure, do a wet compression test on the low cylinder. Can't hurt after all, and it's just one tiny step additionally. I find slightly leaking exhaust valves on them all the time. The pistons and rings are quite robust in my experience..........and the heads are the weak area.

I'm doing leak down tests more now........really works well. You get to find out exactly where the leakage is. I just leak down tested a 2.1 engine with AMC heads on it that don't look at old at all............two exhaust valves were leaking badly. those cylinders showed 20 % 'pressure retention'. The two good cylinders were holding 80 % of the air pressure put into them. In general, all used waterboxer engines, unless pretty fresh, need head gasket work, and at least some valve freshening up.

I seriously doubt the noisy lifters are contributing to low compression. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Max Wellhouse" <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2008 11:37 AM Subject: Seldom used 2.1 has low compression