Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:45:38 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Regarding alignment..
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Scott and list. You mean 'caster' when you turn the wheels and measure? You wrote camber.

If you measure to the tires, you are introducing another possible variable..the round of the sidewall may make it difficult to get it accurate. Using the rim only eliminates that, though you may have to add some spacer blocks so that your alignment board clears the tire..Actual racetrack tools (these are fancy aluminum 'boards' with some screw in spacers to do what the blocks do) cost about $100 bucks.. For camber, I used a 'smart level', available at Home Despot or other builders supply stores. relatively inexpensive.. This is a digital read out level that can be read in tenths of a degree. Again, I taped some blocks onto the level in order to clear the tires and only contact the rim.. Again, racer supply stores make a fancy version of this McGuiver tool, they call theirs a "Smart-Camber" tool and charge a couple of hundred...same level, just put into a slick little jig with some screw adjustments rather than wooden blocks. With my race car, I did so many suspension changes constantly for changing tracks and conditions that I had each component 'wired-out' as to how many "turns" on the adjuster did how much change to the vehicle's alignment...So I could come in and just take a couple of turns on the coil over shocks and lower the car by X-amount, or a turn or two on the tie rod for some more or less toe, or a few millimeters adjustment on a swaybar for more or less under or oversteer. Scott's 'incremental' adjustment is best...do a small change then measure again after moving the van around or driving it some. You do need a fairly smooth surface to work on. I found for toe settings...1/4" total (the difference being 1/4" longer measurement at the rear of the wheels) was about right as a starting point and many other cars seemed to use that measurement, too. Don Hanson

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> To: "Don Hanson" <dhanson@GORGE.NET>; <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 6:01 PM Subject: Re: Regarding alignment..

> Very good Don, > OK,...........here is my quite effective, believe it or not, way to check > toe, camber, and castor. > > On the toe in/toe out.......your method amplifies the measurement, and is > thus more accurate, but here's mine ....................... > What I do is ...........and yes, the suspension always has to be settled. If > it was jacked up, need to move it several van lengths to get the suspension > settled again. > When I'm really picky, I'll drive and then stop the van using only the > parking brake, so the front brakes don't pull on the front wheels at all > during stopping. > These days I don't bother to do that......just stop it gently. Always > adjust tire pressure too of course ! > > I use two yard sticks. I get under there and measure at close to the 9 > o'clock/3 o'clock position on the wheel or tire at the rear . > I find that that's usually one yard plus 18 3/4 inches............I overlap > the two yard sticks so it's easy to read that inch number. > Then I measure in the front ..............if I had 18 3/4 inches in the > rear....... > I'd like to see about 1/16th to 1/8 inch less in the front. Just a tiny bit > of toe-in. > On some cars you can't measure at the 3 o'clock position on the tire or the > wheel, due to suspension parts in the way. > I just measure as high up as I can get. > I'll often make a small change, then wait until I drive it next time, and > measure it again. > > ( I won't go into it right here, < well, I guess I did > but if the > steering wheel is not quite centered........you can figure out which tie rod > to make longer or shorter to bring it towards exactly centered. I do it > like this : First I measure and say it's toed-out. and the steering wheel is > off center to the left. I think like this ............I hold my hands out > exaggerating toe-out ..............and remembering that the steering is in > the front of the front wheels..............I think.........ok, if I shorten > the right tie rod - move your hands so both are pointing > left............then when the steering, pulls naturally to straight ahead, > it will pull the wheel to the right, the direction I want it to go. . ) > > next ......Camber. <snipped>

> next.............camber .......we can at least check it for being the same > side to side. Turn the wheel full left, and measure camber with the level > of both wheels.

You mean caster here? Caster is the "shopping cart" component of steering...where the wheel hits the ground is behind where the wheels pivot, just like the front wheels of a shopping cart...More caster equals more effort turning and better straight ahead, plus more 'self-straightening' when you release the steering wheel after a turn..I never mess with caster much..