Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Oct 2008 15:58:40 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Is there such a thing as a good used transmission?
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@cs.indiana.edu>

Hi, They did look into that from what I've read. Their reason though was for smog legality reasons in California. Long saga..........California basically flat says 'no OBD-II engine conversions can be certified' .......... from what I've read that Jim's written, there might be some provision or loophole about if the same transmission is used with the OBD-II engine.... the very trans that was used with that engine type. And I think he said they even put one it, or determined that it will fit in a vanagon.

It's also just never seemed to me that a transmission designed to drive a small light fairly aerodynamic car, would be happy pushing a big vanagon. Transverse, by itself, isn't a serious or undoable problem. After all..........the Ford trans has two axles going out to the wheels, just like a vanagon trans. But imagine the re-engineering it would take...... after all that work to make a kit to put a Zetec engine into a vanagon inline with the chassis ( longitudinally. ) . to then re-do the whole thing so the engine and trans can sit back there transversely. Whew. Just the shift linkage even..........to re-do that to be compatible with the vanagon shift linkage.

The only transmissions that lend themselves to being fitted into a Vanagon would be ones from a rear engine car, and designed for a clockwise turning engine ( when viewed from the crankshaft pulley end........this is 'normal' way almost all engines turn ...........all Honda's until later years being an exception, for years Honda engines turned 'backwards ) ............there is mainly only one common car that has a transmission layout similar to a vanagon ........ the Porsche 911, or earlier 356's too..........And almost all front transaxles can't be turned around. Most are not designed to allow the ring gear to be flipped over so it drives the other way if you turn it around, etc. For mounting a front transverse engine and trans unit..........if it'll fit it doesn't care if it's in the front or the rear. But you're just going too far from the original vanagon layout . Stock, there is both opposed 4, and inline 4 engine installations in vanagons. It's easiest to stick with those.

You can buy absolutely anything you want and con afford in terms of a rear mounted VW-related transaxle though, in the dune buggy and drag racing world. Not cheap though. Built from all new extra strong casings etc.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Streib" <streib@cs.indiana.edu> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>; "Vanagon List" <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:57 AM Subject: Re: Is there such a thing as a good used transmission?