Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:47:53 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Is there a market for my VanaJetta Westy?
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

well, since you know all the pluses and minuses, what would YOU pay for it ? anything like this is a long shot usually.......... there may be a lot of value, or a lot invested, but people might be leery of anything cobbled up, very non-stock, etc. what do you hope to get out of it ? they need to believe that it is fundamentally very, very reliable. Any buyer's biggest fear is getting something that will bite them after a while, like a major expense like transmission or engine, or.........this is a biggie..........THE biggie............they'll have problems with it, and no one will be able to fix it, or be able to fix it for a reasonable cost. If you handle that concern truthfully, and it's really true, then you might find a buyer at a good price.

If I was advising a potential buyer, I'd suggest they call a few VW or foreign car shops and say 'I have this vanagon with a 95 ABA 2.0 liter engine ( or whatever it is ) in it, and I'm having some problems with it running right, Will you work on it?" ....... and just see what you get. Obviously.........many shops would be concerned about getting into a weird thing. It's going to take.............'just the right person' to buy it, and appreciate it.

I'd say, just get your number in your head ( if you really DO want to sell it ) ........like say $ 3,500 or whatever your number is, and put it on the free lists, like craigslist and thesamba. and see what happens. Does yours get good mileage ? Don Hansen drives a 1.8 inline four vanagon........and he claims around 23 most of the time,and a high of 27 mpg once. If true, that sort of thing could be a good selling point. I don't believe he's had many issues either. I did an 88 Jetta Digifant 1.8 into a vangon once...........that system at least has potential to be extremely reliable and consistent in a vanagon. If it's like that ............like a 'toyota-like vanagon' ...........it's easier to sell.

but after all this work !.........don't you want to enjoy it for a few years ? .......or do you not like it actually ? Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "neil N" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 2:19 PM Subject: Is there a market for my VanaJetta Westy?