Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:56:54 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rust Paint a steel brake line?
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@gmail.com>

re you last comment about the paint cracking and water getting udder it...... that's the whole main trick, getting the paint to stick to what it's applied to.

paint sticks to itself or stays together well........but getting it almost bond with what it's painted on ........that's the trick. you do that, and it won't rust again for a long, long time. I usually do this - wire brush to bare metal, either a power wire wheel on a Mikita disc grinder, or by hand. Treat that spot with a metal prep juice, either spray or brush on. Oshfo is a famous one, and serious stuff - it'll etch concrete. then apply self-etching primer paint. If I can't spray it on, I just shoot some into the spray can top, and use a small brush dipped in the paint. Then put on whatever I'm going to put on top for a last coat.

The primer makes a big difference too........makes paint go on smoother, and stick better. You can do a rust spot with this process really quickly and easily too. Hardest thing is letting it dry for up to an hour between treatments. Dry environment helps. Use a heat gun or hair dryer if you have to. No reason at all to let rust spots in easy to access places on a vanagon go untreated. It's so simple, and rewarding.

----- Original Message ----- From: "neil N" <musomuso@gmail.com> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> Cc: <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 5:17 PM Subject: Re: Rust Paint a steel brake line?