Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:11:02 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      The value of Neil's I-4 van conversion.

Well Neil,

Jeeze, you just finished it all..

Ok, here's my take on it's value. When I bought my 50degree 1.8l conversion, the big plus for me was that "it was just like a Diesel vanagon" Now, while that isn't 100% true, the two are very very similar and any VW mechanic will just look in there and say..."hey, you stuck a gasser in there instead of the diesel? Cool! No problem.." Nothing much different other than a few motor mounts and the intake piping.. But yours, with extra deck height and all the other parts you had to make from scratch...that would have put ME off..Maybe not everyone is like me, but I just wanted to use my van, not work on it much. And I certainly didn't want to have to fabricate parts or worry about some odd-ball adaptation of engine management, etc etc.. So if you find the right person..But I think you'll find fewer right people who want to involve themselves with a one-off air to water..flat four to inline..etc etc etc.. I paid 3 grand for mine..for what that is worth..about 2 years ago now. Don Hanson