Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:43:51 -0600
From:         Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Vitrifrigo
Comments: To: vanagon@VAROTTO.ORG

Hugo wrote: > Couple of questions from your pics: > > 1 - are you supporting the side flanges somehow ? Looks like you only > put two screws through the side panel, is that enough to support the > weight of the fridge? > 2 - what is the front flange for ? > 3 - how do you prevent the fridge from sliding forward or backwards ? > 4 - the last two pics show a panel, is that a future mod (like > covering the fridge with it ?

Hugo:

I'm attaching a post on the Vanagon-Westfalia list from 8/2 that answers your questions--except maybe #4.

For #4, I had scrap 1/2" birch plywood, so I started by making a copy of the Dometic door flange, down to the edges. I wasn't sure where I was going. Pixs 9a and 9b show what I made. I was trying to decide whether or not to use the metal vent panel at the bottom of the Dometic. Then I decided the Vitrifrigo didn't need that kind of ventilation--the fan/condenser ends up exactly behind the vent on the rear (L) side of the Westy sink/stove/fridge cabinet--perfect. That's if you place the fridge up as high as possible, rather than down on the floor. I wanted high, so I didn't have to bend over so far. :-)

Then I decided on the drawer, cut off the bottom of that panel for the drawer face and used the rest (by cutting out almost all of it on the inside) to make a flange for the Vitrifrigo-- that's pix #7-FridgeFlange.

When I started I didn't want to use any of the Dometic parts, so I could reverse if I wanted. Then I used the door latch for my drawer, but I'd never go back. Nobody who has a Vitrifrigo would. Anybody?

I've seen 3-4 other Vitrifrigo installations, and I like mine the best--using the aluminum angles to support the fridge--and getting the lower space with no obstructions, making a drawer work. The AL angle is standard stock at most hardware stores.

If you have more detailed questions, just pmail me.

Richard

Vanagon-Westfalia list of 8/2/08: >> > How is the floor >> > of the refrig area in yours supported? Seems like your drawer is wide >> > - is any of the weight of the Refrig bearing on supports say to the >> > side of the drawer or did you incorporate a shelf into the cabinet to >> > support it? > > Thinking Steve! I've been waiting for someone to ask how the > fridge stays up with that drawer below and no 2x4s like Karl has > in his drawing. > > I had some 1x1-1/2 aluminum angle stock around so I used two > pieces of that, bolted to the cabinet walls. Since the fridge > is narrower, I put some left-over bookshelf edging to center > the fridge. I also put some of that on the sides and top of > the opening, to back the fridge flange I made. In the end I > used the little angle the Dometic had at the upper RH corner > and screwed my fridge flange into it--hidden beneath the > metal flange of the fridge. Why did Dometic have that? Why > did I use it? When the door is open and full, there is quite > a torque on that corner. ;-) > > I also used 2 of the 4 places where the Dometic was screwed > from the sides. Lower L and upper R, I think. So the fridge > sits on the aluminium rails, is held by two screws from the > sides and the flace flange is screwed into the backing. On > 35 miles of rough 4x4 roads to Wheeler Geologic Area it > didn't budge. > > I have added more pix showing all of this at > http://jones.colorado.edu/Vitrifrigo > > Richard > >