Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:29:58 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Subject: HELP! Blackbeard Update-Not Good. reply

Matt,

You are in for a crappy fight, usually with only slightly 'acceptable' results. Dealing with an insurance company to try to get 'fair value' for a vehicle or get it restored to 'like conditions', that is a tough chore. First, they are going to 'stonewall' you. They don't give a crap when/if something happens. They have Your money already. The longer they keep from giving any of it to you for your loss, the more interest they earn. They are in the business...you aren't. They have all kinds of people who depend, for their paychecks, on dealing with claims, lawsuits, arbitrators, forms, everything...You don't. I've had a couple of vehicles "taken" from me by insurance companies when their clients were at total fault in destroying my own vehicle. You will probably end up getting about 1/2 what your vehicle was really actually worth (what you will have to pay to restore it to as it was) and you will have to work like hell to get that. I had one import pickup, all kinds of extras and equipment, totally receipted for everything...It was legally parked while I was working. A runaway front loader ran over it and smooshed it! They(my insurance and his insurance dickered over who was to pay for two months while I was truck-less) finally gave me low bluebook and nothing for the extras...Told me I could sue them if I wanted more for the tow package, the Gem Top camper, the new tires etc. I had to re-buy the wreck for a lot, pay a big storage and towing fee to get it out of hock and remove and replace all the stuff onto a crummy replacement without out my knowing how that replacement pickup had been maintained Same think on my next insurance fiasco. Hit from behind while I was stopped by a flagger..ended up getting $9000 for a fancy $25k sports car after almost 2 years of hassling over doctor bills and compensation... Don't expect fair treatment from any insurance company. If you do get that, be amazed. Sorry for your problem, but you are just getting started.. Don Hanson

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:23:05 -0700 From: Matt Drew <t3vanagon@GMAIL.COM>

Adjuster just came.

This sucks. Based in part on the prices of similar vehicles for sale in the area (and this is Vegas, so good luck with that) the value of Blackbeard is $2,649. Cost to repair (minus the radiator, because he couldn't actually get to the radiator to look at it) is $4,500.

Total labor per his report is over 22 hours.

Even with the additional value given the new (<75,000 mi.) engine, the massive number of hours PLUS parts is just too much.

Alright. Never been through this before. Aside from the new damage, Blackbeard is in FANTASTIC condition. Interior is very clean. Cruise works great. Power mirrors, windows, door locks, AC (needs to be replaced though), and the OEM carpet covers are even in good shape. No rips/tears. . .

Do I take the total and have 'em haul it off? Do I have it towed to a recommended shop for an estimate? Anyone else dealt with this before?

HELP ! ! ! !

-Drew '90 GL "Blackbeard" (Life Support)